Preferences, General, Units, user system MKS(m/kg/s/degree) displaying dimensions as millimetres and not metres.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ArnoVersfeld

Preferences, General, Units, user system MKS(m/kg/s/degree) displaying dimensions as millimetres and not metres.

Post by ArnoVersfeld »

Grid-size-test.jpg
Grid-size-test.jpg (587.97 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Grid-size-test.jpg
Grid-size-test.jpg
I installed FreeCAD and set the Preferences as shown in the subject.
When I go to Arch, Draft or Drawing workbench and draw a simple image like a square then use the dimension tool I get a display in millimetres and not metres. I closed FreeCAD.
I deleted the file in the .FreeCAD folder namely user.cfg and cookies and opened FreeCAD again and got the same results.
I uninstalled FreeCAD from the system and reinstalled it after again deleting the files in the FreeCAD folder and got the same results, namely, "display in millimetres and not metres".
When I go to the combo view of a rectangle that I've drawn the Height is 8,00 mm and the Length 12,00 mm these dimensions should be 0,80 m and 1,20 m, in other words show a metre or fraction of a meter.
What I expect to see:
When I select "MKS" I expect the systems dimensions to be adjusted so that the Grid (Settings: Main lines every 10) to represent 1 metre for every ten (10) main lines since the largest unit of measure is a metre and centimetres and millimetres are fractions of a metre. BUT I see that every 10 main lines represents 10,00 mm. When I want to draw a building that is 17 m by 20 m I get an area so large that I have to zoom out so far that I cannot see details I need to see as I work.

Likewise when I select "Building US" I expect the systems dimensions to be adjusted so that the Grid (Settings: Main lines every 10) to represent 1 ft (foot) for every ten (10) main lines since the largest unit of measure is a ft (foot) and inches are fractions of a ft. BUT I see that every 10 main lines represents 1/2" and NOT 1 ft.

Platform: Intel® Core™ i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40G
OS version: 18.04.2
FreeCAD version: 0.18

What am I missing ?
Grid-size-test.jpg
Height-Length-test.jpg
Height-Length-test.jpg (607.05 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Still-Millitetres-test.jpg
Still-Millitetres-test.jpg (599.69 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
test-notes-on-jpg.doc
(16 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Last edited by ArnoVersfeld on Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: I instalPreferences, General, Units, user system MKS(m/kg/s/degree) displaying dimensions as millimetres and not met

Post by chrisb »

Hi Arno, welcome to the forum.
For such requests it is always a good idea to add the full FreeCAD info as explained following the IMPORTANT link above.

Here the system behaves reasonable with MKS system. If I enter in Sketcher a big value, e.g. 1000mm it is shown as 1m. If I enter 0.1m it is shown as such and if I enter 10mm it is shown as 10mm. There is nothing to be desired from my side.

Concerning the grid, you should configure it in the preferences to meet your expectations.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
meme2704
Veteran

Re: I instalPreferences, General, Units, user system MKS(m/kg/s/degree) displaying dimensions as millimetres and not met

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
when you enter the length and width, also delete the suffix mm and type the length: 24m
so you will not have to rent the giant stadium screen
Attachments
24m.PNG
24m.PNG (9.08 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
ArnoVersfeld

Post by ArnoVersfeld »

meme2704
Thank you for your response. I've tried to follow your comment.
Please check the videos. Perhaps I'm not doing the right thing.
I've check the permissions of folders to make sure that that isn't part of my problem.
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Preferences, General, Units, user system MKS(m/kg/s/degree) displaying dimensions as millimetres and not metres.

Post by Roy_043 »

Looking at the images I think the OP is looking for grid settings in the view properties of the rectangle.
As chrisb already pointed out: You should go to the 'Grid and snapping' tab of the Draft Preferences
ArnoVersfeld

Re: Preferences, General, Units, user system MKS(m/kg/s/degree) displaying dimensions as millimetres and not metres.

Post by ArnoVersfeld »

ROY_43
Thank you for your comment.
The attached video ( Screencast from 04-10-19 17:30:33.webm) shows my Grid and Snapping preferences.
I've selected "Use Grid" and "Always show the grid".
When I change the dimensions of a square from 10mm to 1m (or 10m) I get a huge square and a very small square grid after I have zoomed out quite a lot.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@ArnoVersfeld:
I do not see a video attachment. But note that the grids pacing value is in millimeters.
ArnoVersfeld

Post by ArnoVersfeld »

Thank you Roy_043 !
What I missed was the fact that I need to adjust the Grid to be able to shows metres or feet, whatever is needed. Leaving the grid spacing at 1mm makes the system draw in mm and not metres even if the unit is set to metres (MKS).
I think it would be useful if a short explanation is put into the manual to that effect where the units are chosen and where the grid spacing is specified.
My thinking and expectation of the use of the grid, I think, has been influenced by the use of TurboCAD and than same may happen to other first time users of FreeCAD who have previously used systems like AutoCAD or TurboCAD etc.
Thank you for your patience.
Here's my suggestion for the manual:
Under Preferences, General, Units add in:
When choosing MKS, Building US, Imperial Civil increase the Grid space under Preference, Draft, Grid Snapping to at least 10,0000mm so that the drawing will reflect metres instead of millimetres.
Under Preference, Draft, Grid Snapping add in:
Please refer to Preferences, General, Units for the effect of grid setting to Units chosen.
madcello

Post by madcello »

Good morning.
After 3 years this same question got answered here.
Learning is a passion.