[Solved] The mysterious "Pad:Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time."

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
will tulyfe

[Solved] The mysterious "Pad:Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time."

Post by will tulyfe »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I will attach three files below. I am trying to pad enigma to 6.35mm. When I try to do this, I am met with the error "Pad:Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time". I attached the abomination file to show what happens when the circle is deleted. I have encountered this error before. It happens when I attach a sketch to the face of an object in order to create a modified profile using the reference tool in sketch. It always goes away after I detach it though. For some reason it isn't going away, not even when the reference object is deleted and the sketch copied to a new file. Any ideas?
Attachments
Copy.FCStd
(7.94 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
New enigma.FCStd
(56.87 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
abomination.FCStd
(21.76 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Last edited by jmaustpc on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added [Solved] to topic title
chrisb
Veteran

Re: The mysterious "Pad:Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time."

Post by chrisb »

You seem to have doubled at least parts of your sketch, e.g. is line3 identical to line13, line 4 to line14.

Beyond that I don't see why you need the points.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Willem
Veteran

Re: The mysterious "Pad:Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time."

Post by Willem »

Hi, Chrisb is right. There are some lines drawn double, I discovered 4 or 5. After deleting them in the sketch the Pad function works perfect. The Validation function in sketcer workbench helps with finding the doubles.
The file I checked is abomination.FCstd
will tulyfe

Post by will tulyfe »

You are both right. Thank you for the extra eyes.
annoyed

Re: [Solved] The mysterious "Pad:Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time."

Post by annoyed »

I got an idea and try draw it, base was success ( only few errors ), but then i try build next layer (from base to up) it generates this error, so i start over and over, same result every time... ....but when select "reversed" or "symmetric to plane" at Pad parameters, it works. hope this helps someone... for me, it is easier and lots faster to make model from cardboard or sheet metal and try idea that way.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: [Solved] The mysterious "Pad:Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time."

Post by TheMarkster »

annoyed wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:49 pm I got an idea and try draw it, base was success ( only few errors ), but then i try build next layer (from base to up) it generates this error, so i start over and over, same result every time... ....but when select "reversed" or "symmetric to plane" at Pad parameters, it works. hope this helps someone... for me, it is easier and lots faster to make model from cardboard or sheet metal and try idea that way.
In part design the pad has to produce a single solid once it's added to the body. Think of it like an ant is crawling on the model. The ant must be able to get to any place on the model from any place on the model without needing to jump, not even a tiny bit. The ants unionized and demanded this, so now we have to deal with it or else they would not come to any more of our picnics.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

I don't like this message. It was phrased this way because there was a possibility that multiple solids might be supported some time in the future.

I'd like to change it to something like "Invalid result. Not a single contiguous solid. Check sketch." That would at least give the user a clue of what the problem is.

I'll even volunteer to remove the message if multiple solid results are ever supported.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Werner has once implied that this restriction might indeed be removed someday. Until then the message can well be changed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I vote for removing it if it can be done, or at least have a preference where if you don't want the restriction you don't have to live with it. I don't think it's an OCC restriction because multiple solids works with Part:Extrude, which I presume to be based on the same OCC algorithm. I think the preference would be better, then if some new feature comes in where you must have that preference turned off to use the new feature, then the user can make that decision at that time.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

TheMarkster wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:19 am I don't think it's an OCC restriction because multiple solids works with Part:Extrude, which I presume to be based on the same OCC algorithm.
The issue isn't that Sketch + Pad(etc) can't/won't make a multi part solid.

The problem comes later in the feature chain when something expecting a single part solid receives a multi part solid and doesn't know what to do with it. Then the model breaks mysteriously.