Newbie question

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
meme2704
Veteran

Re: Newbie question

Post by meme2704 »

Ok, I understand, there is the same question on the french site, is there a contest to rebuild Aleppo? :?:
I propose the same solution:
Draw a path using the image of a simple text, draw the profile in a perpendicular sketch and do a sweep
Attachments
savon3.FCStd
(107.78 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
savon3.PNG
savon3.PNG (24.47 KiB) Viewed 740 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:13 pm The docs of Part Extrude says
Aha, thanks for pointing this out. Should have checked the docs myself of course...
jayhova

Post by jayhova »

That looks pretty close. Is there an easy way to constrain the angles on the ends (the beginning and end of the sweep) so they are the same as on the sides? Also it's best to assume I am completely clueless as to how to do any of this or where to look to find out how. I have version .18 installed but I'm clueless as to the best approach. I had somewhat assumed that I could start with a 2D sketch and get my font to fully defined, but that's as far as I have gone. I have not even really played with the tools yet. I suppose I should figure out how to work in fractional inches first.
This is what I am trying to make
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's always good to see what you are after. This font doesn't seem really to require bsplines. I would model it as sketch - that's what you did / intend to do - and use only arcs and lines. The Sketcher Polyline with its great M key is what I would recommend. Then you can extrude it using taper angle in Part workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

meme2704 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:02 pm Ok, I understand, there is the same question on the french site, is there a contest to rebuild Aleppo? :?:
I propose the same solution:
Draw a path using the image of a simple text, draw the profile in a perpendicular sketch and do a sweep
That will work in some cases however you need to be careful as you might get invalid solids due to self intersections. This sort of more complex example is likely to also depend greatly on your FreeCAD version and particularly the OpenCasCade version it was compiled against.
jayhova wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 pm I had somewhat assumed that I could start with a 2D sketch and get my font to fully defined, but that's as far as I have gone.
The first question is, do you know what the font is called? If so is there a computer font file available for that font? If so look at Draft shape string. If not then modelling the font in sketcher could work as well.

The exact answer may also depend on what you are going to make or use the FreeCAD file for, and how the item is going to be manufactured. For example it could in some case conceivably be easier to make a model and then just file a corner rather than spending time getting it perfect in the model. fillets and chamfers may be adequate.

can you post and example file for us to experiment with?
jayhova wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 pm I suppose I should figure out how to work in fractional inches first.
look up "units" in the FreeCAD wiki. Units are set in your edit menu...preferences. But this is just the displayed units, FreeCAD always uses mm underneath. This in fact makes FreeCAD very powerful, you can view the same model in any units system or language. In terms of input, even with default settings, mm, you can still enter inches, FreeCAD just automatically calculates and displays mm. Be aware that combinations of units like feet and inches can cause complications where you want to apply maths to the values in FreeCAD, for example the behaviour of negative values may not be what you would expect.
jayhova

Post by jayhova »

chrisb wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:06 am It's always good to see what you are after. This font doesn't seem really to require bsplines. I would model it as sketch - that's what you did / intend to do - and use only arcs and lines. The Sketcher CreatePolyline with its great M key is what I would recommend. Then you can extrude it using taper angle in Part workbench.
I'm pretty sure I can get away with just lines and arcs. I don't think I will have any issues doing that. After that is where I become clueless. The wiki link you included looks pretty desolate. Not sure what the M key does. Where can I look these things up?
jayhova

Post by jayhova »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:03 am
meme2704 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:02 pm
jayhova wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 pm I had somewhat assumed that I could start with a 2D sketch and get my font to fully defined, but that's as far as I have gone.
The first question is, do you know what the font is called? If so is there a computer font file available for that font? If so look at Draft shape string. If not then modelling the font in sketcher could work as well.

The exact answer may also depend on what you are going to make or use the FreeCAD file for, and how the item is going to be manufactured. For example it could in some case conceivably be easier to make a model and then just file a corner rather than spending time getting it perfect in the model. fillets and chamfers may be adequate.

can you post and example file for us to experiment with?
jayhova wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:56 pm I suppose I should figure out how to work in fractional inches first.
look up "units" in the FreeCAD wiki. Units are set in your edit menu...preferences. But this is just the displayed units, FreeCAD always uses mm underneath. This in fact makes FreeCAD very powerful, you can view the same model in any units system or language. In terms of input, even with default settings, mm, you can still enter inches, FreeCAD just automatically calculates and displays mm. Be aware that combinations of units like feet and inches can cause complications where you want to apply maths to the values in FreeCAD, for example the behaviour of negative values may not be what you would expect.
Who knows what the font is called if anything. The things I am looking to reconstruct are 70+ years old and the letters were likely purpose built for the job. Recreating the font should not be a challenge since I have dimensions to work from.

My plan is to 3D print the letters and use them to make molds to sandcast aluminum in.

I have not really even started as I didn't want to go down a dead end path because I didn't know what I was doing. I can probably get some 2D drafts tomorrow. Heck I don't even know if I can or should put multiple letters/parts in one file.

Fortunately all my measurements are in 1/8" increments and I don't really need to worry about any measurements larger than 3 1/2". I'm curious about positive a negative values as many letters are symmetrical and I will want to constrain things to be equidistant of a center line. A,M,W,V would be examples of this. I'll play around with creating a couple of correctly sized letters.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jayhova wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:22 am I'm pretty sure I can get away with just lines and arcs. I don't think I will have any issues doing that. After that is where I become clueless. The wiki link you included looks pretty desolate. Not sure what the M key does. Where can I look these things up?
The link is Sketcher CreatePolyline. It's nothing complicated, try yourself: Use the polyline tool and click two points to get a straight line. Now press repeatedly the M key and whatch how the line is extended with smooth or rectangular connections.

If you want to dig further into Sketcher you may want to work through my tutorial: https://owncloud.gwdg.de/index.php/s/HS ... I/download
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Is there an easy way to constrain the angles on the ends
After having tested several cards to play, I only have a handcrafted solution: place at the ends of the letters a cutting prism
Sorry I have not better
Attachments
savon4.PNG
savon4.PNG (57.71 KiB) Viewed 682 times
jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Okay after a few tries I managed to get a basic 2D shape that turned green. I started with "I" because it seemed the easiest. I used the polyline tool never figured out what the M key was supposed to do. I just made a rough shape and constrained points until it turned green.
Attachments
Letter I.FCStd
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 31 times