Confusion about 0.18 release on website

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alterx

Confusion about 0.18 release on website

Postby alterx » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:25 am

Hi all,
I started using this tool that seems nice and good enough with few limitation though (I hope it is just my limited knowledge on the use of freecad) (e.g. mirroring not work when schetck is on the edge of 2 surfaces, or copy geometry doesn't work for construction shape, scketch with more shapes cannot be extrude in one go).
Anyway I see some mess around the official release, that on the site is 0.17 version, but under linux in the ubuntu software store it is 0.18 marked as stable and under windows on github you can grab the 0.18 RC4, that reading around is considered the official released one.

So what is the truth here?
Is the RC4 on windows the latest one and if so why the site is still stating 0.17 and the name is still RC?

Thanks
jmaustpc

Re: Confusion about 0.18 release on website

Postby jmaustpc » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:37 pm

0.18 was released, now 0.18.1 is released, but released in terms of source code, we are still creating binaries, installers, packages etc. across the numerous platforms we support, some are finished or finished but are an rc, but some aren't quite ready yet. Hence we have not updated the website etc.

Have a look at some of the other forums to see what's going on, and help out by testing, if nothing else.
alterx

Postby alterx » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi thanks for the answer,
so this means that only when 0.18 is stated on the website it really means on any supported OS I expect the latest official release or on the other hand if the site states 0.17 this also mean that I can already find on few OSs already the 0.18 version?

I am really new not just to freecad, but to the entire CAD world, so I don't know if I can really be helpful on this.
Oli.

Postby Oli. » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:49 pm

For Windows, just use the latest non-pre version from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases (i.e. currently 0.18). For Linux, I'd recommend AppImages, but apparently there's currently an issue with them, so they aren't available for download, so you'll be stuck with what's in your distro's repo (or you build yourself, but honestly I'd just wait for the AppImages to become available again).

If you're feeling adventurous, try the 0.19_pre AppImages.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:33 am

The link you gave is leading to entries "under construction" and tarball zips of the sources. So no 18.1 binaries currently available from this side.
You need at least FreeCAD 0.19.23300 to edit my current sketches.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:05 am

Please note that Norm wrote a topic to answer this question and I made it a "global announcement" which means it the topic exists at the top of all forums, it name is

Status of FreeCAD 0.18 Release

here is a link, or just look at the top of all forums.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35546
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 am

jmaustpc wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:05 am
I made it a "global announcement"
Thanks Jim!
Oli. wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:49 pm
For Linux, I'd recommend AppImages
I admit to not testing it thoroughly, but the flatpak seems to work well, and in conjunction with the gnome-software plugin, you'll get automatic updates. The only downside I've seen is that it doesn't comply with the desktop theme. But on Ubuntu/GNOME, it's much better than the snap package which is atrociously ugly.
Oli.

Postby Oli. » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 am

NormandC wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:48 am
I admit to not testing it thoroughly, but the flatpak seems to work well, and in conjunction with the gnome-software plugin, you'll get automatic updates. The only downside I've seen is that it doesn't comply with the desktop theme. But on Ubuntu/GNOME, it's much better than the snap package which is atrociously ugly.
On OpenSUSE Tumbleweed KDE, the desktop theme is applied, so I guess it's not a FreeCAD issue. But the current revision number is 14555, which is already half a year old and 0.18_pre. I mean I've been working with the 0.18 preview without major issues since it was available, but in general it should be preferred to stick to the releases.

BTW, just realized that 18.1 is actually available in the OpenSUSE default repo. Ubuntu on the other hand still offers only 0.16.

The whole release status seems to be a bit of a mess currently. :( And after reading more on the forums, it looks like AppImages might not return at all.
alterx

Postby alterx » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 am

Oli. wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 am
BTW, just realized that 18.1 is actually available in the OpenSUSE default repo. Ubuntu on the other hand still offers only 0.16.

The whole release status seems to be a bit of a mess currently. :( And after reading more on the forums, it looks like AppImages might not return at all.
Exactly...there is no consistency on what is released and what is not. In my opinion they should really not release anything that is not marked explicitely as final.
for example I had the win version RC4, now there is a new installer without RC4 but the version and serial are exactly the same, so this is confusing, is this a new binary or it is just a rename?!? I reinstalled it again just to be sure!
And if you think that the website is still stating 0.17, what should I think about the 0.18 version now: is it a real release or there will be another one when the site states 0.18?!?!
Last edited by jmaustpc on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected the quote so that it quotes the correct person!
Oli.

Postby Oli. » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:33 am

If it has the same build number, it's the same version. RC4 was the last release candidate which means it got approved as release.

As for Linux versions from repos: That's not something the FreeCAD devs can influence directly. It's the respective repo maintainers' choice to or not to update the FreeCAD version they offer. There used to be an easy way around this (with AppImages), but for now, there are no current AppImages.

I'm not sure if they deliberately haven't changed the 0.17 on the main page, but I guess that's the fallback until 18.1 is released and available for all platforms.