Building a model with several parts

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
luggw1

Building a model with several parts

Post by luggw1 »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I'm beginning a model made up of several parts that I want to be independent of one another. All together, it's a relatively simple thing - a latch for my Dad's rolator walker to hold it closed when it's folded up. It will consist of three bushings and a bar, plus part of the halves of the bench to locate things. Ultimately, I'll want to produce some drawings to take to the shop to fabricate the parts.

The question is this: to keep the parts separate from one another in the model file, do I need to create an new body for each new part? I've had some trouble finding info in the documentation describing the concept of operations for FreeCad in this respect.

Thanks.
Bill Lugg
vocx
Veteran

Re: Building a model with several parts

Post by vocx »

luggw1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:09 am I'm beginning a model made up of several parts that I want to be independent of one another.

The question is this: to keep the parts separate from one another in the model file, do I need to create an new body for each new part?
You are absolutely correct. A PartDesign Body is a contiguous solid, like a nail, a bolt, a cogwheel, etc. Once you put these together, then you have an "assembly". Currently FreeCAD doesn't have an official assembly workbench, so you just create Bodies and arrange them together in space. You can put these bodies inside a Std Part container, and that would be your assembly, so to speak. Then you use the TechDraw Workbench to produce 2D drawings, and send these to the shop for manufacturing.

If you'd like to test some real assembly capabilities, there is the A2plus Workbench. This is not officially part of FreeCAD (it's one of many external workbenches) but works quite well for many cases. In the future FreeCAD will probably adopt parts of this workbench and others that are in development in order to have an officially supported assembly workbench.

Also, FreeCAD 0.18 was just released, so grab that for the latest functionality.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

luggw1 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:09 am to keep the parts separate from one another in the model file, do I need to create an new body for each new part? I've had some trouble finding info in the documentation describing the concept of operations for FreeCad in this respect.
This is something I've been thinking of doing, we need to have several "assembly" tutorials, one with a "pseudo-assembly" work flow with only FreeCAD "core" and multiple PD Bodies in a single file, another with the A2+ assembly add-on, and so on. But I'm already struggling with my current list of tasks...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:48 am we need to have several "assembly" tutorials, one with a "pseudo-assembly" work flow with only FreeCAD "core" and multiple PD Bodies in a single file, another with the A2+ assembly add-on, and so on. But I'm already struggling with my current list of tasks...
+1

I could do the pseudo assembly, but here it will take some time too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

i think this would be a good layout:

1. Build solid (body) and show/explain why operations resulting in multi solids fail. show sketch based on face vs sketch based on plane.

2. Position several bodies relative to each other, manual placement, part container and nested parts

3. revisit 1. but use spreadsheet reference for dimensions

4. revisit 2 but with spreadsheet references for placements.

5. A2Plus tutorial

6. ASM3 tutorial
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

I think i should make a new video dealing with simple multi part structures.
I put this on my agenda.

For static structures i normally just use multi bodies attached to each other or to the main body with shapebinders and datum planes on them.

2 samples:
2019-04-10 08_13_34-FreeCAD 0.18.png
2019-04-10 08_13_34-FreeCAD 0.18.png (141.69 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
2019-04-10 08_37_14-FreeCAD 0.18.png
2019-04-10 08_37_14-FreeCAD 0.18.png (166.18 KiB) Viewed 4058 times
Last edited by HarryGeier on Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
miniellipse

Post by miniellipse »

HarryGeier wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:08 am I think i should make a new video dealing with simple multi part structures.
I put this on my agenda.
:D +1