Export to dxf

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
foxint

Export to dxf

Post by foxint »

Guys - I am so sorry to ask. But I have tried to read and watch videos and they all seem to miss ALL the steps. I have tried version 0.16, 0.17 and now on 0.18 and I have NEVER been able to export a 2D drawing to dxf.

I am a novice and on win 10. I have drawn a 2D instrument panel 2U 19: rack. I cannot find STEP-by-STEP instructions with pictures anywhere....

I know you are all experts. All I want to do is make some panels for my rack and export to dxf so the shop can cut the metal.

I am worn down by this and I am going to the bottle as there are no simple answers for simple questions like how do I....export to dxf.

Again I apologise, my skill level is only that of drawing 2 D panels. But it is a start.

Any help would be most welcomed.

depressed and disheartened
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Export to dxf

Post by kisolre »

You do not supply your file, you dond show what is not working, are you encountering any errors, expected result against achieved outcome. Have you searched the forum? Top right with DuckDuckGo because most ofthe terms could be ignored as to common.
Here are some threads:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=17896
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=16487
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=5081
foxint

Post by foxint »

Sir - thank you.

It still does not work. Yes I have searched the form and my terms were ignored. What is DuckDuckGO

I get: Export of this object type if not supported by Drawing module

Also I get:

In tech Draw - the dxf button is greyed out.

I think I needstep-by-step instructions with pictures. But these do not exist.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

DuckDuckGo is a search engine. On top right of the forum pages there is another search box that sends the search to it.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=export+of+thi ... org&ia=web
Is your file too big or too secret to post here? It iseasy to help when one knows what exactly is he against :)
foxint

Post by foxint »

Sorry...

I do not know how to insert my file. I will try and save what I have as an attachment if that is what we do

It is only a flat 2U rack panel.

But I am still missing any instructions as to how to export dxf. I even tried chrome and got other results, but nothing with step-by-step instructions with pictures. I am sorry I am not a CAD wizard. I am trying to get my 11 year old to do it, but she will not.

So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

PS...yes I did get these results. I did not know what the animal head was. But still I could not find instructions clear and with all the steps. Seems like many instructions skip a few steps and/or use terms that I could not find on the screeen....sorry, I am still learning and still asking questions.
Attachments
PSU-2U-VerticleMay-Old-Front.pdf
(277.46 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
PSU-2U-VerticleMay-Old-Front.FCStd
(25.85 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
PSU-2U-VerticleMay-Old.FCStd
(10.01 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
roerich_64
Veteran

Post by roerich_64 »

My Settings:
DXF-Einstellungen.jpg
DXF-Einstellungen.jpg (152.18 KiB) Viewed 2394 times
more later ;)
Die Liebe wird siegen, denn sie ist unzerstörbar :) ;)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

foxint wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:33 am But I am still missing any instructions as to how to export dxf.
To export your sketch from 3D model:
Select "Sketch036" in tree. Go to File>Export. Select (Autodesk DXF 2D (*.dxf) as export format. Supply file name and press "Save". You may need to adjust the scale in your Dxf program (DraftSight, LibreCAD, etc)
Sketch036_DS.png
Sketch036_DS.png (82.18 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
I notice you're using the older "Drawing" workbench. This workbench is deprecated and is no longer maintained. You should use the newer "TechDraw" workbench.
To export your sketch from TechDraw:
Go to TechDraw workbench. Create a TechDraw_New_Default Page. Select "Sketch036" in tree. Press TechDraw_NewView to add a View of Sketch036 to the Page. Select "View". Press TechDraw_SaveDxf. Supply file name and press "Save".

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
Attachments
Sketch036.dxf
(4.91 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Thats the way. You attach your file to the post. Limit is 5 files, 1MB each.
First link in my previous post, 3 post: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 96#p140952 Select the sketch, export to Autodesk DXF.
Your sketch has a lot of issues. There are missing coincidences between line and arc ends. There are a lot of unnecesary dimensions. You know that there is a Sketcher_CreateSlot tool in sketcher right? If your slots are all the same size you should use an equality constraints instead of dimensioning each one. You should allways try to fully dimension your sketches (they become green). Try to base you sketc from the start of the coordinate system and not some random point in space. Use vertical/horizontal/point on line constraints to aligh your elements.
Here is a fixed sketch and the DXF produced by it:
Attachments
PSU-2U-VerticleMay-Old_kiss.FCStd
(11.61 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
PSU-2U-VerticleMay-Old_kiss.dxf
(6.04 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
foxint

Post by foxint »

Sir - thank you.

I followed your instructions and I got: Export of this object type not supported by drawing module.

I have no idea about the new TechDraw...

"Go to TechDraw workbench. Create a TechDraw_New_Default Page. Select "Sketch036" in tree. Press TechDraw_NewView to add a View of Sketch036 to the Page. Select "View". Press TechDraw_SaveDxf. Supply file name and press "Save".

No TechDraw New View???

This is what I mean...you nice people give me instructions and I cannot comply, becuase I cannot pass step 2 or step 3.

So thank you. But I am still stuck.....

I am so sorry.... but there is something you experts do like breathing than I know nothing about.....

By the way...tonight is the first I have heard of techDraw...I never knew it existed. Yes I only donwloaded v0.18 after not being able to work with 0.17.

My apologies.
foxint

Post by foxint »

kisolre wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am Thats the way. You attach your file to the post. Limit is 5 files, 1MB each.
First link in my previous post, 3 post: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 96#p140952 Select the sketch, export to Autodesk DXF.
Your sketch has a lot of issues. There are missing coincidences between line and arc ends. There are a lot of unnecesary dimensions. You know that there is a Sketcher_CreateSlot tool in sketcher right? If your slots are all the same size you should use an equality constraints instead of dimensioning each one. You should allways try to fully dimension your sketches (they become green). Try to base you sketc from the start of the coordinate system and not some random point in space. Use vertical/horizontal/point on line constraints to aligh your elements.
Here is a fixed sketch and the DXF produced by it:
kisolre - thank you.

I just saw this after I wrote my reply. I really appreciate you fixing my panel. But I am here to learn and I still have no idea: 1) that the panel was so bad and 2) how to turn it into dxf.

I am guessing that I probably got 10% or less for the execution of the simple panel...I hang may head in shame....