Tips on Improving File Opening/Saving Speed

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ⵎⴰⵙⵏⵙⴰⵏ

Tips on Improving File Opening/Saving Speed

Postby ⵎⴰⵙⵏⵙⴰⵏ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm

I have a question regarding the parameters which control the speed at which files are opened and saved, in other words with what settings could I play with in order to open these files faster?

This is mostly a problem that occurs when opening and saving documents containing more than 80-100 parts.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16268 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: (HEAD detached at FETCH_HEAD)
Hash: 9a4632f4384c8f7496baf75aa38a46be74649d83
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
vocx

Re: Tips on Improving File Opening/Saving Speed

Postby vocx » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:47 am

ⵎⴰⵙⵏⵙⴰⵏ wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:47 pm
I have a question regarding the parameters which control the speed at which files are opened and saved, in other words with what settings could I play with in order to open these files faster?

This is mostly a problem that occurs when opening and saving documents containing more than 80-100 parts.
I don't have a straight answer to this but it has been discussed in other threads. Each object in the tree view (which is called a DocumentObject in internal FreeCAD terms) seems to consume a lot of resources. So the best advice seems to be to avoid having too many individual objects. Essentially, try to compound as many objects as possible, that is, combine them together so that they are a single one, and not many. This obviously makes some pieces static and no longer parametric, but reduce the amount of objects in your file.

See this thread:
carlopav wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:20 am
Following the general discussion in this post:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=10337 "FreeCAD slow performance on create many (document) objects"

what i understood is:

FreeCAD is not thought to be used extensively (as Librecad or Autocad are) for 2d architectural drafting where you need to draw looots of single very simple elements (points, lines, circles, ecc.).
Instead in FreeCAD, as i lear from yorik, each object is a powerful and complex entity, and therefore their max number is not infinite. But the point, if I got it correctly, is that Coin is very powerful (can deal with loots more entities than Librecad), and the limit is mainly a stuctural limitation of the document tree (i think i'm simplyfiing a lot).

So if we create a single shape (single document object (?)) containing all the other simple 2d entities (edges, faces, ecc.) we can skip that limitation quite easily. This at the moment is done with part compound after the creation of draft objects (did i get i correctly?).
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
fosselius

Re: Tips on Improving File Opening/Saving Speed

Postby fosselius » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:44 am

sadly, best/fastest solution for this issue right now is to get faster memory/storage/CPU..

Things might improve if ASM3 gets merged which have some support for links and partial loading etc.