Why is my drawing not on screen and the KISS one is

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
foxint

Why is my drawing not on screen and the KISS one is

Post by foxint »

Hi Guys,

I am a novice and have had some help on another topic. The really kind guy reworked my file and it looks great.

But when I open (File/Open) my file I see nothing and when I open the fixed file I see the drawing.

I have obviously done something. This happens all the time for me I have to go searching on the screen for the drawing. I can only find it when I go to the "edit the selected sketch". Yes every singe time with every single file I have created

All I have done for both files is File/Open......

I have no idea????
Attachments
Capture-2019-04-16-CannotFindDrawing-02.JPG
Capture-2019-04-16-CannotFindDrawing-02.JPG (110.42 KiB) Viewed 894 times
Capture-2019-04-16-CannotFindDrawing-01.JPG
Capture-2019-04-16-CannotFindDrawing-01.JPG (100.17 KiB) Viewed 894 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Why is my drawing not on screen and the KISS one is

Post by chrisb »

There are (at least) two possibilities to have an object out of sight:
1.) It is invisible, and from what I see in your screenshots this might well be the case. Visibility is toggled by selecting the object in the tree and hitting the space bar.
2.) It can be visible but is out of sight. Use the Fit-all icon to show it. Its the first to the left in your lower toolbar.

Furthermore you should follow the IMPORTANT link above and learn how to add your FreeCAD info.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)

I have just found out that this is out of date - I am currently downloading the new one.

WOW....space bar worked

WOW...the magnfying glass also worked.

What a clever guy you are.

I searched via goggle for ever a long time and nothing.

I have one less thing to ask. I better start another thread for my next one - it has been haunting me for months.

Thank you
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Your welcome, if you are fast enough, I have another 1/4 of an hour to look at your question.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Mate - I have a stp file - that is too big to attach.

I cannot work out how to open the various layers of the product.

It is a watch box. I found the zip file. I am not sure if the stp is the right file as I have asked the CAD guy to make changes. It has cost me a bomb in money and time.

Thanks

Dan
Attachments
Travel box Assembly - DL-v03.zip
(812.9 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
2018-10-31-Travel box Concept Assembly - v01.pdf
(188.86 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Please don't post proprietary/copyrighted/which you do not own/... (you get the idea) designs.
For the STP/STEP files you import them and then if they are solids you can use them as BaseFeature for a PartDesign body and add extra features.
May I suggest that you first try to learn some more about FreeCAD before jumping in to deep waters? It is not so simple as it sometimes looks.
foxint

Post by foxint »

Hi Kisolre,

The very nice guy said he had a moment free.

By the way I own the file, if anyone has copyright to it, it is me.

It is far more complex than I had every imagined.

Thanks
Dan
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

It was not obvious who is the owner. You have the PDF in your ZIP also which makes it unnecessary big - you could reach the 1MB limit.
To import the file just Drag/drop it into FreeCAD. You will see the different solids in the treeview.
TravelBox.JPG
TravelBox.JPG (146.45 KiB) Viewed 851 times
They are not directly editable but you can use them as PartDesign BaseFeature for a PartDesign Body and add more features.
What did you use to produce that box? Why do you need it in FreeCAD?
foxint

Post by foxint »

Thank you.

I do understand your caution, but I am OWC (Orange Watch Company – www.orangewatchcompany.com) and I paid for the CAD. But I would like some flexibility to see if what I asked for was what I got.

I seem to have less of a tree and mine is reversed for some reason.

The file was made in Catia by a guy in China. I asked for some internal adjustments, but I cannot see inside the box. I would like to see if my modifications were made, as I only have an old version of the pdf.

You get what you pay for, but I cannot afford the local guys and when I gave them small jobs, they were overpriced and always late. My Chinese guys have generally bee good. But the box has been a little harder than I had thought. It is far more complex than the last one.

Hence, I am introducing myself to FreeCad, so at least I have the facilities to do minor things….

Next step is to send it to a factory and have a sample made than the first run of 100.

Somehow the lid opens, and the watch and tools fit inside.
Attachments
Capture-2019-04-16-Box-01.JPG
Capture-2019-04-16-Box-01.JPG (129.93 KiB) Viewed 847 times
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

The solids in that Compound are merged. Go to Edit/Preferences/Import_Export/STEP and uncheck "Enable STEP compound merge" then reimport the STEP:
StepCompoundMerge.JPG
StepCompoundMerge.JPG (154.16 KiB) Viewed 840 times
Then you can show/hide things from the tree view (you already know how to do that, right "space bar" ;) ) to see inside the box.
You can also change transparency (RMB/Appearance over the solid in tree view) of the solids to see inside.