Unexpected behavior: "Pad: Result has multiple solids..."

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
onekk
Veteran

Re: Unexpected behavior: "Pad: Result has multiple solids..."

Post by onekk »

A side note:

- Part is the more direct way to access OCCT methods, in fact is very near the OCCT code, most of Part is the bridge between OCCT and FreeCAD.
- PartDesign is more geared toward "assemblies", to be more precise, PartDesign will have as a final product a Body, Part could create things in many way and using the boolean operations make same things that PartDesign could do "a complex solid"

From these consideration will descent some simple assertions:

- Without Part module there will be no way to do almost anything with FreeCAD.
- The goal of PartDesign is to produce a Body, so trying to make "two" Body is "out of the scope" of PartDesign and obviously marked as "error"
- Maybe is not FreeCAD that is wrong but are some assumptions from the tutorial maker, that not so rarely make things to only add viewers to his/her YouTube rrank and maybe raise some money.
- Unexpected behaviour: it depends on what you are expecting and why you are expecting this thing to happen, maybe this is behaviour that is "usual" in another piece of Software, but FreeCAD is FreeCAD not a "free version" or a "free carbon copy" to other Software.

Many of the above assertions are very clear to some of us but not for many people that maybe use various tutorial around, said so what is lacking in FreeCAD is some "tutorials" well done and updated for the recent versions of FreeCAD and that these tutorial will be updated and "keep in sync" with FreeCAD last Stable version.

This is in my humble opinion the "most wanted/needed" task to have in mind to spread more the use of FreeCAD.

But maybe I'm wrong so some other opinion are welcome, maybe to be moved in a new thread if there will be many answers to this post.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
manos

Post by manos »

onekk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:41 pm A side note:

Many of the above assertions are very clear to some of us but not for many people that maybe use various tutorial around, said so what is lacking in FreeCAD is some "tutorials" well done and updated for the recent versions of FreeCAD and that these tutorial will be updated and "keep in sync" with FreeCAD last Stable version.
Tutorials are very important for the novice to understand, but much more important are the wiki pages: Every command description should comprise also: Limitations and some common error codes. Limitations: You can use use this command only when in edit mode, inside a body, inside a part , between bodies etc . Common error codes: This message means this ,possible cause is that, you can reed of it doing this.
Those two additions would be beneficial for the spread of FCad.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

manos wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:52 pm Every command description should comprise also: Limitations and some common error codes. Limitations: You can use use this command only when in edit mode, inside a body, inside a part , between bodies etc . Common error codes: This message means this ,possible cause is that, you can reed of it doing this.
You right in general. But I'm not sure if such very basic things should really be repeated for every feature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
manos

Post by manos »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:00 pm You right in general. But I'm not sure if such very basic things should really be repeated for every feature.
OK . Lets settle at fifty per cent .
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

manos wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:27 pm
chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:00 pm You right in general. But I'm not sure if such very basic things should really be repeated for every feature.
OK . Lets settle at fifty per cent .
The wiki is a living document and is always looking for contributors to improve it.

Start writing. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
manos

Post by manos »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:32 pm
Start writing. :mrgreen:
I sent a relevant PM to Yorik one week ago, but no answer yet.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Hmm...he just moved from Brazil back to France...might be a bit distracted.

@Kunda1 might be a better choice.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
manos

Post by manos »

So you suggest me to send the same PM to Kunda1 ?
Maybe I have to wait few days more .
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The "How to get wiki editing permissions" page says to send a mail to Yorik and to jmaustpc and to Kunda1.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
3dHacker

Post by 3dHacker »

ImageSorry that this rather long. I am another Frustrated New User

First, let me apologize to the moderators. It seems that my ISP is not forwarding all of my email to me. To register I had to use and ISP that I am attempting to disengage from.

I have been knocking around the CAD and 3D CAD world for a bit. Mainly, of late, using Creo. I would guess that most of my problems stem from my 20 year (non-professional) association with Creo. This summer, my student license expired and it doesn’t look like I will be able to renew it.

About 8 months ago I tested and found that is simply didn’t seem to work well enough for me to trust it. This summer, I went looking again, found and began using FreeCAD 0.19. I have begun working my way down the first couple of tutorials and simple experiments and will say that it is an impressive bit of software and I see much of what I feel like I need. But have also started finding things that I don’t seem to get work.

I think the biggest problem that I have is likely a philosophic one. How is it supposed to be used, and I know that I’m carrying some Creo baggage.

For instance, attempting to extend a solid: Make a simple rectangular solid. Select a face to sketch on. Make the edge of that solid and external reference. Sketch the extension insuring that the points that make up the attaching edge are coincident or points on an object of the external reference. It is green so it is all closed up so it is good. Close. Pad. Set size. “Pad: Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time.” The only clue that I can offer here is that first pad was extruded up (there’s that Creo stuff again) from the XY plane and the next pad was to be extruded in and orthogonal direction towards the XZ plane.

I would insert a image here, but I haven't yet worked out how.

Another major source of iritation is why can you not dimension do an axis line? Just seems so easy and basic, but I haven’t found a way yet.

I have been through several of the entry tutorials. They have helped me start feel like this is usable and, if I learn enough will do well for me. However, there seems to be a good bit of the why things work the way the do missing from the tutorials. The “why” makes a big difference in how I think about modeling a part.

After 5 days of reading and poking, I just feel like I am floundering.