Creating a simple solid STL

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Brutha

Creating a simple solid STL

Post by Brutha »

Hi All,

I have an old file where I modelled my house, and having recently bought a cheap 3d printer to play around with, I'd like to do a little print of it.

Now, the file is very badly organised, this I am sure is an example of "how not to do things"! What I would like to do is simply export the house as a solid in STL format; but I am struggling to find a simple way of doing it.... I don't want any of the interior, there isn't any detail, and I'll let Cura sort out the internal support structure itself.

Can anyone suggest any quick low effort ways to do this?

Thanks!

Brutha
Screenshot 2019-04-19 at 09.55.11.png
Screenshot 2019-04-19 at 09.55.11.png (74.13 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Attachments
housetest.FCStd
(547.23 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Creating a simple solid STL

Post by openBrain »

Hi,

I'm not an expert, but here something you can try : import your file in a new A2p project (you can install the extra A2p WB with the addon manager) and export it to STL.
I know A2p simplifies the imported geometries, but I don't know in which extent. ;)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Creating a simple solid STL

Post by jmaustpc »

Brutha wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 am Can anyone suggest any quick low effort ways to do this?
you should be able to select all the solids, then Part WB Fuse then together, then export the "Fuse" as STL. Assuming all the solids can be combined into one contiguous solid, i.e. they all touch at least one other.