Strange errors after child node delete

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
alior101

Strange errors after child node delete

Post by alior101 »

Hi All,
I'm new to FC but tried to search the forums as well as watched few youtube tutorials to try to fix the issue myself without much success...
I have downlowded a design from thingsverse (a robot) but had to modify it to fit the servos I had. Basically, I deleted a cut note child ..
Then I started seeing multiple unexplained errors ... probably since the original author did not use names but left the auto naming and it got corrupted after mu child node delete...
The problem is that when I put my mouse on the error it just show "error" without much info...
How do I progress from here ... Is there some additional console where more info is given ?
Can anyone take a quick look and suggest places where I can read and solve the problem ?
Any other suggestion ?
Thanks!
Lior

P.S. the model is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FGTQD ... vvf1H5QINo

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git) AppImage
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
20190419_131451.resized.jpg
20190419_131451.resized.jpg (55.22 KiB) Viewed 372 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Strange errors after child node delete

Post by chrisb »

Hi Lior, welcome to the forum.
This might turn out to be worse than expected. Usually you can mark the whole file for recomputing (right mouse button) and after executing the recompute the mouse over message shows you the error.
Additionally I recommend to redirect in the preferences the errors to report view and show the report view (View->Panels->Report view).

I have tried to perform a recompute which makes my FreeCAD crash.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16398 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 847035cbd227d1f7554a494c3cfe5fa8942f2b7c
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You use an old design built with a version of FreeCAD prior to 0.17. In the meantime the structure has changed, all PartDesign sketches and features now live in a body.

Additionally the model has taken advantage of a bug in the old version, i.e. it has padded a non contiguous sketch to multiple solids. That is the error you are facing here.

If you rebuild the model with using Part->Extrude instead of Pad you may have success. You can either copy the sketches and rebuild things manually or you can try in OpenSCAD workbench to replace an inner element of the tree. (Cannot test myself, OpenSCAD is currently not working here).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
alior101

Post by alior101 »

Thanks for the leads ! Will go down the rabbit hole ...
Lior
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Can you give the thingiverse link? If that is the only change you need it might be easy to work with the STL.
alior101

Post by alior101 »

Hi
It's indeed from a FC 3 years ago
https://github.com/owenlab/poorkame
As for working on the STL itself, it will be problematic since I need to strech the model itself for bigger batteries so it is not just a simple pad (which I would have dome easily in openscad) ... I was also looking to use that opportunity to learn FC so I will continue trying to fix the model for version .19 ..
My current path is using getting rid of the pad and using part->extrude ... I'm still trying to remove a pad from the tree without breaking the whole naming structure ..
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Since you try to learn FreeCAD it might be easy to design the parts from scratch using the originals as reference.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:04 pm you can try in OpenSCAD workbench to replace an inner element of the tree. (Cannot test myself, OpenSCAD is currently not working here).
To add to that, and to prevent any misconceptions, the replace element tool has no relationship with the external OpenSCAD program. In fact, most of the tools in the OpenSCAD workbench do not require installation of OpenSCAD to work.