Import stl gives me an invalid solid

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
asimov-solensan

Import stl gives me an invalid solid

Post by asimov-solensan »

Hello,

Well still learning so maybe this is simpler than I think. In the tutorial I follow they import this stl file and modify it adding a padding and a pool.
https://github.com/Obijuan/tutoriales-f ... arro-X.stl

It didn't work for me and I noticed that geometry check returns me some errors.

I read that yo can click in the errors and then the problematic object gets selected, but I can't see any selected object in my case. This is the first time I struggle fixing a geometry, maybe I'm doing something wrong.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cYAxw ... wEiZZc81mX

Any help is welcome.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 690774c0effe4fd7b8d2b5e2fb2b8c8d145e21ce
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Spanish/Spain (es_ES)
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Import stl gives me an invalid solid

Post by openBrain »

Hi,

Indeed fixing meshes is usually a tough work. I rarely do it, and honestly, rather do it with tools that are designed to deal with it (such as Blender).
But here it seems you're close to success. :)
My tip when the error is selected is to smoothly rotate the part in the 3D view to discover where the selection is. :)
In your case, it's located as shown on the below screenshot (you can -hardly- see the whit dotted lines bounding the faulty edge) :
Check.png
Check.png (90.84 KiB) Viewed 917 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To see it better you can hide the checked object. You can even use the Fit-all icon to resize and then togle the visibility of the checked object.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

openBrain wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:55 am But here it seems you're close to success. :)
And what exactly is required to achieve success? It's one thing to know where the problematic edge is located, it's another to actually do something about it. Once the mesh has been turned into a shape, there's not much we can do.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Using an online translator this may be helpful: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p300470. HBC0 explaines how he repaired a mesh. I wasn't aware that such repairs are possible at all in FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
asimov-solensan

Post by asimov-solensan »

That thread is the way to solve the problem indeed. I checked the firsts step and certainly solved some errors on the mesh object, but then got a different error.

The next step of removing triangles by hand but I really have no idea where to begin.

Anyhow this is just an exercise, and repairing the mesh wasn't even the point. Now at least know what to do if I got this problem in a real project.

Thanks a lot everyone for your answers.