STL Viewer

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gsandy

STL Viewer

Post by gsandy »

I have seen on a youtube FreeCad tutorial a feature where a created mesh file was viewed from within FreeCad. It seemed to be opened from the File menu under Recent Files, my Recent File only shows FCStd files. When opened the viewer screen had a title "STL Viewer" in the menu bar.
When I double click on a STL file in a file folder a new FreeCad opens and displays the STL file without a file name!
How can I open a STL file from within the currently open FreeCad program?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.15944 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9d87d13dd2d356200db03a79c4cbacc89353c1b7
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/NewZealand (en_NZ)
NormandC
Veteran

Re: STL Viewer

Post by NormandC »

gsandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 pm It seemed to be opened from the File menu under Recent Files, my Recent File only shows FCStd files.
If you haven't previously opened STL files in FreeCAD, they cannot possibly show up in the Recent Files menu entry. By default, the size of recent files list (found in Edit --> Preferences --> General/General) is set to 4, so it will list the 4 most recently opened files, whatever their file extension might be; if an STL was opened before that, it won't be shown in the list.

gsandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 pm When opened the viewer screen had a title "STL Viewer" in the menu bar.
FreeCAD's window title is always FreeCAD, STL files are shown in the main window, there is no dedicated "STL Viewer". Isn't it possible that another program was used? Without the link to the YouTube tutorial we cannot possibly guess.

gsandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 pm How can I open a STL file from within the currently open FreeCad program?
File --> Open, as simple as that, will open the STL in a new document; or File --> Import to import the STL into the active document, if there's one.

gsandy wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:36 pm When I double click on a STL file in a file folder a new FreeCad opens and displays the STL file without a file name!
This is as designed. The tree label for the mesh object created when you open/import the STL adopts the name of the STL file.
gsandy

Re: STL Viewer

Post by gsandy »

Thanks NormandC. Yes it was simple, just got confused!! :?