Appearance / Display Properties ? - Material again?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Re: Appearance / Display Properties ? - Material again?

Post by paullee »

Wonder how many peoples aware of Material therein since 2008 :o

Make sense that a 'Material' Property in View Tab, e.g. next to Shape Colour?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi, I have been recently checking this again.

Except for the Material sub-forum, have gone through available wiki etc. but sill found there is no update explanation about this ?

In short, what is Material in Appearance / Display Dialogue vs Material Editor ?

There seems nothing in Material Editor which set what are available in the Material in Appearance / Display Dialogue ?

Thanks for any idea.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I have edited the Std_SetAppearance wiki page a little bit, but have to admit I don't understand how these materials relate to the Arch materials either.

The Property editor will show 3 material properties (for line, point and shape) if you select 'Show all' in the context menu. But their value is always <Material object> and not editable. Also I have not found a way to retrieve the 'SetAppearance' material via Python.

Also strange IMO is that the 'Material properties', in the dialog with that name, affect the material for the current object(s). You would think from the name that the material ('global' to the document?) itself would be edited and that all objects using that material would show the new material properties.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:41 am Also strange IMO is that the 'Material properties', in the dialog with that name, affect the material for the current object(s). You would think from the name that the material ('global' to the document?) itself would be edited and that all objects using that material would show the new material properties.
Thanks for explanation :)

I have further experimented and it seem so called 'Material' in the SetAppearance Dialog (e.g. Brozne, Copper etc.) is just a name for corresponding combination of Ambient, Emissive and Specular colors, and Shininess.

It seems the Material Editor do not change the Ambient, emissive and specular colors, and shininess (Diffuse should be == Shape Colour).

I have not checked discussions in the Material Sub-forum.
bernd wrote: Ping
See if you can offer some comments ?