Lofting Sketches that contain hole.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vincent B
Veteran

Re: Lofting Sketches that contain hole.

Post by Vincent B »

Profiles are not consistent and you should use bsplines. And proceed loft first and then make the subtractive loft.
kurt2me

Post by kurt2me »

kisolre wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:40 pm That is not the way to trace that. Why did you not use arcs? Also lofting between that sketches by some reason crosses the side openings. Probably because the order in which they were created. You should probably trace them in the same order - first outer contour, then left opening, then central one, then the right one. In both sketches. Also when creating the sketches first move them to the center of the respective drawing, trace, return to 0,0.
I will try some simple tracing as example...
When importing the ImagePlane link its sizes with expressions so it will be alwais proportional- YSize=XSize*ImageHeight/ImageWidth (default sizes are rounded and not exactly proportional). Move it to Z=-1 so it will not obscure your sketches. Then create a simple paralelogram with 2 known dimensions, scale/move the imagePlane to fit that paralelogram, zero the position of the imagePlane and then trace the sketches.
Also while tracing the profiles constraint them after finishing every contour.

Here is a start (man this is hard :D ) :
Test_Kiss.JPG
Wow, That looks great. I'll give it a try.
kurt2me

Post by kurt2me »

kurt2me wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:17 am
kisolre wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:40 pm That is not the way to trace that. Why did you not use arcs? Also lofting between that sketches by some reason crosses the side openings. Probably because the order in which they were created. You should probably trace them in the same order - first outer contour, then left opening, then central one, then the right one. In both sketches. Also when creating the sketches first move them to the center of the respective drawing, trace, return to 0,0.
I will try some simple tracing as example...
When importing the ImagePlane link its sizes with expressions so it will be alwais proportional- YSize=XSize*ImageHeight/ImageWidth (default sizes are rounded and not exactly proportional). Move it to Z=-1 so it will not obscure your sketches. Then create a simple paralelogram with 2 known dimensions, scale/move the imagePlane to fit that paralelogram, zero the position of the imagePlane and then trace the sketches.
Also while tracing the profiles constraint them after finishing every contour.

Here is a start (man this is hard :D ) :
Test_Kiss.JPG
Wow, That looks great. I'll give it a try.
I imagine it's pretty easy for those who have worked with CAD and FreeCad. I haven't picked up CAD for twenty years. Glad to have the help. Working well so far.
TWrecks

Post by TWrecks »

Ahh, the order of creation of the concentric shapes in the sketches being lofted got me too! No matter how thick I made the walls they went to 0 in the middle of the loft:(

I guess one can look in the wires list in the sketch to see which came first? Can the sketch wires be re-ordered without being re-drawn?

Tim