Lofting Sketches that contain hole.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kurt2me

Lofting Sketches that contain hole.

Post by kurt2me »

I have two sketches that have different shaped holes in the middle of them. They do not show up in the lofting tool with the hole in them. Is there a way to do this?
Attachments
sample.png
sample.png (28.28 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
Last edited by kurt2me on Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Lofting Sketches that contain hole.

Post by chrisb »

What shapes, which workbench, which FreeCAD version? Any Model to look at? Please follow the IMPORTANT link above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Part_Loft Limitations and Complications:
PartDesign Sketches
The profile may be created with a sketch. However only a valid sketch will be shown in the list to be available for selection.
The sketch must contain only one open or closed wire or line (can be multiple lines, if those lines are all connected as they are then a single wire)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:34 am Part_Loft Limitations and Complications:
PartDesign Sketches
The profile may be created with a sketch. However only a valid sketch will be shown in the list to be available for selection.
The sketch must contain only one open or closed wire or line (can be multiple lines, if those lines are all connected as they are then a single wire)
That's not quite correct, and that's why I asked for the workbench used:
- You must not use PartDesign sketches in Lofts created in Part workbench;
- in Part workbench you can use sketches made directly in Sketcher workbench;
- in PartDesign workbench you can use sketches containing inner closed shapes, e.g. in order to create a tube.
- in PartDesign workbench you have to use sketches from inside if a body, i.e. made in PartDesign workbench.

(If you want to dig deeper, you may learn how to move sketches correctly from outside of a body to the inside).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

I was citing the wiki... which was not entirely correct... probably more indepht explanation is needed there. Any way it looks like it works so more info is needed to answer.
kurt2me wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:42 pm They do not show up in the lofting tool

Could you provide an example file, your freecad version info,... as Chrisb mentioned above?
Here is an example of working PartDesign Loft:
Attachments
PD_Loft.JPG
PD_Loft.JPG (82.65 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

kisolre wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:36 am That's not quite correct, and that's why I asked for the workbench used:
- You must not use PartDesign sketches in Lofts created in Part workbench;
- in Part workbench you can use sketches made directly in Sketcher workbench;
- in PartDesign workbench you can use sketches containing inner closed shapes, e.g. in order to create a tube.
- in PartDesign workbench you have to use sketches from inside if a body, i.e. made in PartDesign workbench.
kisolre wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:36 am I was citing the wiki... which was not entirely correct...
I just have to add that the wiki is perfectly correct, detailed and that page was written by a very informed intelligent Australian! :D

The problem is that I wrote it over 6 years ago, and my last update correcting it to perfection for its time was still 5 years ago. Back then my description was perfect...but time and FreeCAD development move on! :)

Jim
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:56 am The problem is that I wrote it over 6 years ago
I realy miss that nobody puts dates and version info in the wiki pages. This page shows "Last edit of the page: at 18:53, on 13 february 2019." so anyone reading would assume that the info is up to date...
kurt2me

Post by kurt2me »

See my original post. I have added a screenshot of the two sketches. I am using the "Parts" workbench.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

So then it's kisolre's guess: In a Part loft inner holes are not allowed and sketches containing such holes don't show up in the list. You have to create an outer and an inner loft and subtract them.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

The outer form and the loft central hole provided not to exaggerate with the Bspline.
It's worth remembering that you need as many segments up and down
If we add the two lateral holes, they cross at the center
The solution is to make 1 subtractiv loft and a miror
Attachments
bouchon à 3trous.PNG
bouchon à 3trous.PNG (43.51 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
bouchon à 3trous.FCStd
(91.92 KiB) Downloaded 23 times