Why does FreeCAD Part+Drafts can not work together and messes up with offsets?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
seppelw

Why does FreeCAD Part+Drafts can not work together and messes up with offsets?

Post by seppelw »

Hello,

when I do a Draft I add a „Part“(toggled active) and like to do draft- rectangle and a dimension in that part, which does not work, why? :?

I do not understand why the part is in the draft workbench, but it seems to have no effect on the origin of the containing draft-parts? If you move the part, it will not move the containing draft rectangles, FreeCAD can not handle that, seriously? :shock:

What is going on with FreeCAD, why is it so falsely implemented, or am I missing a FreeCAD concept that is entirely different? What is going on, I do not get the concept at all. :cry:

Thank you very much, Best Regards, Seppel
seppelw

Re: Why does FreeCAD Part+Drafts can not work together and messes up with offsets?

Post by seppelw »

This is what happens if you copy the part containing the rectangles, delete one dimline and try to add create a new one, it does not recognize the moved origin of the part. It locks onto the origin independent from the moved part. :? That is a result of not recognizing the active part I guess?

FC Error on copied and moved Part.png
FC Error on copied and moved Part.png (210.95 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Attachments
FC_error.FCStd
(11.35 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
seppelw

Re: Why does FreeCAD Part+Drafts can not work together and messes up with offsets?

Post by seppelw »

Hello,

it also shows a similar behavior on the BIM workbench:

If you move a "Building-Part" that contains Drafts, it will move the Building-Part to the new location, e.g. from [0 0 0] to [3 0 0] and it will also move the Draft-Rectangles to the new location, from [0 0 0] to [3 0 0] so their origin is absolute, not relative!

Why?

Thanks, BR, Seppel
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

seppelw wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:39 pm ...
I do not understand why the part is in the draft workbench, but it seems to have no effect on the origin of the containing draft-parts? If you move the part, it will not move the containing draft rectangles, FreeCAD can not handle that, seriously? :shock:
A Std Part is not part of the Draft Workbench. A Std Part is a general container, implemented in the base FreeCAD system. It does not belong to any workbench.

Using Std Parts with Draft objects is weird. Std Parts are meant to be used with solid objects, like those produced with Part and PartDesign Workbenches. Std Parts are meant to be used for assemblies.

On the other hand, Draft objects are meant for planar drawing, using the grid to position elements. In a typical architectural workflow, it works quite well, as you usually need to put walls in specific locations on your grid. There isn't much use for relative coordinates, as you have the grid.

You should take your question to the Draft/Arch subforum, where the developer can take a look at it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

seppelw wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:39 pm I do not understand why the part is in the draft workbench, but it seems to have no effect on the origin of the containing draft-parts? If you move the part, it will not move the containing draft rectangles, FreeCAD can not handle that, seriously? :shock:
This statement is plain false, as your file posted a few replies below clearly shows. You moved the Part001 container, all its content moved along with it.

seppelw wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:39 pmWhat is going on with FreeCAD, why is it so falsely implemented, or am I missing a FreeCAD concept that is entirely different? What is going on, I do not get the concept at all. :cry:
Please keep the theatrics in check... It is annoying. :|

vocx wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:48 pm Using Std Parts with Draft objects is weird. Std Parts are meant to be used with solid objects
No it's not weird, it's a perfectly legitimate use, you said yourself it is a general purpose container. It is meant to hold anything. Even meshes!

The problem with the Part container is that it was partly (pardon the pun ;) ) implemented. The whole active status only works within the PartDesign workbench. Without being certain about this, I think that all other workbenches would need to be modified to implement the Part container fully, starting with automatically creating new objects within the active Part container.

seppelw wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:57 pm This is what happens if you copy the part containing the rectangles, delete one dimline and try to add create a new one, it does not recognize the moved origin of the part. It locks onto the origin independent from the moved part. :? That is a result of not recognizing the active part I guess?
Look at your own screenshot closely. In the Model tree, you can clearly see that Dimension004 is outside Part001. Simply drag & drop Dimension004 over Part001 and see your big problem solve itself.
seppelw

Post by seppelw »

The problem is that Dimline 4, as any other draft element, is alwas created outside the part.

When I create dimline 4 it works with the copied rectangle, but when I try to place it to the dimline next to it, it seems to take the wrong coordinates, the origin from the dimline that the dimline next to it was copied from.

Sure, I can move dimline 4, but I do not understand it from a useability point of view.

Are ther better ways of doing it, maybe just Groups,.... ?

Thank you very much, Best Regards, Seppel