Help needed in the A2+ Workbench, Mating Nightmare!

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ragnarox248

Help needed in the A2+ Workbench, Mating Nightmare!

Post by ragnarox248 »

Good morning everyone I hope your day's going great so far! This is Joseph Greenfeder a Design Engineer with 5 years of experience working with Solidworks up to the latest 2018 version. With a change of positions I'm now using FreeCAD details below:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I've hit a complete road block when trying to assembly an Aluminum Vent particularly the Flat Bar Stiffeners we have in 60 degree intervals on top of a rolled Angle. Rolled to an ID of 24". Please see my "professional" sketch of how these are going together. Essentially the flat bar stand vertically on the end of the toe on the rolled angle in 6 places 60 degrees from each other. The trouble I'm running into is getting these two parts to constrain.

1. Currently I have the bottom of the Flat Bar mated to the top of the rolled angle.

2. I have tried PointonLine Constraint attempting to mate the bottom vertex of the Flat Bar with the round edge of the Angle (like I would in Solidworks) problem is when I do this is launches the Flat bar back into the center of the Rolled Angle floating in space. When attempting to mate the other corner vertex to the outer edge of the rolled angle it just errors and stays floating in the middle of the vent.

Can someone please help explain the best way to mate these two parts so that 1) it's corners are at the edge of the rolled angle and 2) so that I can ensure they're 60 degrees from each other. I have reference planes (created in Part Workbench) on the Flange Part in the Assembly, but i don't see an option to select any of the reference planes I created so as to mate the Flat Bar to any of them.
Attachments
Current Assembly View 1 is Flat Bar.  2 is a similar issue that will occur with an angle to the base pipe
Current Assembly View 1 is Flat Bar. 2 is a similar issue that will occur with an angle to the base pipe
VENT MODEL VIEW.jpg (195.86 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Sketch of how Flat Bar should be Mated
Sketch of how Flat Bar should be Mated
SKETCH.png (202.97 KiB) Viewed 203 times
kbwbe
Veteran

Re: Help needed in the A2+ Workbench, Mating Nightmare!

Post by kbwbe »

ragnarox248 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:27 pm
Hi @ragnarox248,
sometimes, when existing constraints of A2plus are not sufficient yet (and i think this applies here), it is necessary to do a multipart document with PartDesign or Part WB for later import to the assembly. A2plus is able to import documents with more than one visible shape.

See an example here:
rr.png
rr.png (134.85 KiB) Viewed 180 times
KBWBE

https://github.com/kbwbe/A2plus
latest release: v0.4.56, installable via FreeCAD's addon manager
Tutorial: gripper assembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMxcQ5tssWk
Documentation: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/A2plus_Workbench