Old Timer Draftsman stubbornly chasing his tail.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jlondon53

Re: Old Timer Draftsman stubbornly chasing his tail.

Postby jlondon53 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:37 pm

freedman wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:26 am
I don't do this much anymore but I wrote a list of tips when I first started here. Maybe something will help you. It's about the 3rd post in, about a page worth of ramblings.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 9&p=258352
Thanks, that link was just what I needed - a big picture plan/approach rather than details.
jlondon53

Postby jlondon53 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:38 pm

HarryGeier wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:33 am
Hi Jlondon,

well, as many years ago i had to introduce Solidworks intot a buinch of "old timer" engineers and draftsmen, i fully understand your problem.

You could think of a 2 step approach .
First, you , in mind , apply your 2d, 3 views idea to 3 areas of the paper. Which are in fact so called datum planes in Part Design. The create sketches on each, representing your final model. We call such MASTER sketches. Then when done arrange them in 3D space so you can create the real sketches , from which the features will be built using the master sketches for carbon copying or referencing the objects.

harry
Thanks, very helpful!
jlondon53

Postby jlondon53 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 pm

PrzemoF wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:52 am
@jlondon53: 3D modelling is closer to machining than to drafting. Think about the part that you want to make like you had a block/cylinder (or other shape) of a raw material, then you want to cut this surface, drill a hole there.
Thanks - "machining" vs. "drafting" does in fact help me get my head around this.
jlondon53

Postby jlondon53 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:41 pm

paullee wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:43 pm
FreeCAD file
Thank you so much - very generous and helpful information.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:55 am

Hello,

jlondon53 wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:55 pm
I already know that what I'm asking is probably no longer considered the 'best' way - but I just want to know if I 'can' - or if I'm just wasting my time trying to find a way. To repeat, I want to create a 'part' or '3D image" by FIRST creating a properly dimension-ed 2D front, top, and side view drawing - just like the old days and convert 'that' to 3D perspective - NOT create a 2D drawing from an an imported and/or already created 3d part/image like shown in literally every tutorial I've run across.
I may have mentioned it here in the past, it so happens that more than 10 years ago, in my search for a CAD program that ran on Linux, I stumbled upon a program that does exactly what you are asking. It still exists, it's called MEDUSA4, there's a free "Personal" version. although they only have a Windows version now:

https://www.cad-schroer.com/products/medusa4-personal/

It had a really nice set of 2D drafting tools, but I couldn't get around the whole 2D drawing to 3D thingy, it felt so weird. Also, two big turndoffs were that the 3D model was only a preview, you couldn't export it; the software had its own custom file extension, you had to pay to export to DXF or PDF, those were the only possible file formats. The closed system didn't sit well with me.

You'll find video tutorials here: https://www.cad-schroer.com/products/me ... al-videos/

Specific videos about 3D design: https://www.cad-schroer.com/products/me ... 3d-design/

jmaustpc wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:23 am
That is pretty much impossible, however in a simplistic sense, for simple cases, that is what Sketcher does in PartDesign WB. Create a fully constrained 2d sketch then "Pad" that to a solid.
As I showed above, it may not be currently possible in FreeCAD, but it could be implemented in some capacity, if someone was willing to develop it.

Without going as far, some kind of wizard could be programmed (even a Python macro) to facilitate this. Solid Edge (commercial CAD program which I've been using for work for the past 12 years) was pushing a lot for this 2D to 3D transition. See an old video here:

https://youtu.be/BfUonGx2DRk

I haven't seen them advertise this process much lately. To be blunt, who's still working only in 2D? I would say that most "old timers" have retired. ;) I lived through the transition from the drawing board to the CAD computer while I got my degree and that was quite a long time ago. Mid-range parametric CAD systems have been around for 20 years, high-end systems longer than that. I believe nowadays students go straight to 3D and never learn to create 2D blueprints.
freedman

Postby freedman » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:13 am

Back in the days when blueprints were only Blue and you could tell when they were released by the terrible smell. Uck! :x
meme2704

Postby meme2704 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:45 am

HI
I believe nowadays students go straight to 3D and never learn to create 2D blueprints.
It is amazing to say this:
When you do a sketch, do not you do 2D :?:
As Mr Jourdin does prose without knowing it
paullee

Postby paullee » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:09 pm

Yes, blueprint smell :)

Really not much people here now in office had ever seen a blueprint :D