dot instead comma ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Cpl_Detritus

Re: dot instead comma ?

Post by Cpl_Detritus »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:02 pm IMO this a very important issue but there have been some confusing posts that seem to deny a problem exists.
I am very new here but this is a very common behaviour I see on this forum. Every time someone posts some problem some people immediately reply with some sort of denial or apologism. It is really killing the discussion even before it has started.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:02 pm IMO this a very important issue but there have been some confusing posts that seem to deny a problem exists. Notably the first post by @openBrain.
Cpl_Detritus wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:20 pm I am very new here but this is a very common behaviour I see on this forum. Every time someone posts some problem some people immediately reply with some sort of denial or apologism. It is really killing the discussion even before it has started.
Come on guys ! Are you serious ? :?:
Do you really think that a 4-page topic is the result of a discussion that was born-killed ?
The main reason for what you call "denial" here (as often) is the fuzziness of the OP. If one would follow the #5 rule of the IMPORTANT link (especially provide a very clear detailed walkthrough that produces the problem) there could be a clear/fast/easy yes or no.
I (as others),when facing such a topic, first think about preventing a useless ticket and all subsequent efforts for the dev team. Given that, the problem shall first be confirmed and identified.
The final issue here (as often) is that no one created the BT ticket so the problem can be fixed. Thus feel free to do so if you want things to go forward. ;)
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

@openBrain
I have been serious throughout this discussion.
openBrain wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:40 am Same as meme2704 here (with FR locale too, as for Forthman as well). I can use the dot from the numpad.
As far as I browse the code, FC uses locale separators (and it works well).
Maybe first check the regional config of your system. ;)
In your first post you say your locale is France (comma is the decimal separator), that FreeCAD uses locale separators and yet you can use the numpad dot key. This suggests that you have understood the problem Forthman and others, including this Dutchman, face, but that this problem does not exist for you. Your advice is to look at OS settings. It is only later that you confirm that a problem in fact exists.
Cpl_Detritus

Post by Cpl_Detritus »

openBrain wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:08 pm The final issue here (as often) is that no one created the BT ticket so the problem can be fixed. Thus feel free to do so if you want things to go forward. ;)
Being a noob I did not want to go and start creating tickets willy-nilly. I am still trying to familiarize myself with the whole ecosystem here. So if someone more experienced creates the appropriate ticket that would be very nice.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Cpl_Detritus wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 8:26 pm Being a noob I did not want to go and start creating tickets willy-nilly. I am still trying to familiarize myself with the whole ecosystem here. So if someone more experienced creates the appropriate ticket that would be very nice.
Sounds wise. ;)

issue #3963
Forthman
Veteran

Post by Forthman »

thank's openBrain ;)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Forthman wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 5:10 am thank's openBrain ;)
Will be solvable when this PR is merged. However some modifications to TechDraw are mandatory.
wandererfan wrote: Ping @ TechDraw master
uwestoehr wrote: Ping @ (TechDraw) UI file master
Guys, with above PR, it will be possible to use indifferently dot character ('.') or local decimal separator to enter doubles in spinboxes.
However it would need to use 'Gui::DoubleSpinBox' while TechDraw makes a massive usage of native Qt 'QDoubleSpinBox' (Gui::PrefDoubleSpinBox will automatically get the update when PR is merged).
Would it be possible that you upgrade the TechDraw UI files to use 'Gui::DoubleSpinBox' rather than 'QDoubleSpinBox' ? This should be a straight forward change without anything else having to be updated. ;) Thx.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

openBrain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:33 pm Guys, with above PR, it will be possible to use indifferently dot character ('.') or local decimal separator to enter doubles in spinboxes.
In this bug: https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=3795 I think a decision was made against such a change.
Would it be possible that you upgrade the TechDraw UI files to use 'Gui::DoubleSpinBox' rather than 'QDoubleSpinBox' ?
I don't understand why. QDoubleSpinBox is used if there is a value without a unit, e.g. a scale factor. Why should a scale factor get a unit spinbox? This is also massive work and massive testing. I think we are feature frozen since Monday as triplus announced. Therefore I am opposed to these last minute and error-prone changes.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:17 pm In this bug: https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=3795 I think a decision was made against such a change.
This ticket is "dot instead comma". Not the purpose here as it is to allow both. Also the ticket you pointed never had a forum discussion. See why it never get audience ? How could a decision be taken in the tracker while this is against community rules ?

Also I saw in this ticket that German use 'dot' to separate thousands. English use comma. But this is no point here as thousands separator aren't never activated. This is CAD, not computer aided accounting. ;)
I don't understand why. QDoubleSpinBox is used if there is a value without a unit, e.g. a scale factor. Why should a scale factor get a unit spinbox? This is also massive work and massive testing. I think we are feature frozen since Monday as triplus announced. Therefore I am opposed to these last minute and error-prone changes.
Who talk about unit spinbox ??? Gui::DoubleSpinBox is the FC class for doubles (it mainly aims at bringing the expression support, but you're not obliged to use it). Nothing to do with Gui::QuantitySpinBox.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

openBrain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:55 pm This ticket is "dot instead comma". Not the purpose here as it is to allow both.
I understood the reporter to get both.

The problem of allowing both is how do you separate the decimal separator from the thousand separator of you allow both?

So how can I e.g. enter "10.000,34"?
Also the ticket you pointed never had a forum discussion. See why it never get audience ?
I don't know. I was new to FC when I commented to the ticket. Now it has the audience ;)
But this is no point here as thousands separator aren't never activated.
Here they are. As I state in the ticket, I work in MEMS and use as base unit sometimes micron, not mm. Entering "10.000" µm gives me correctly "10" mm (I have a German Windows, thus comma is the decimal separator, even that I use FC with English menus).
Who talk about unit spinbox ??? Gui::DoubleSpinBox is the FC class for doubles (it mainly aims at bringing the expression support, but you're not obliged to use it). Nothing to do with Gui::QuantitySpinBox.
Gui::QuantitySpinBox is for quantities. So why must one use it for simple doubles? it is the first time I hear that this is the policy. And when looking around in the WB whose code I have seen so far (FEM, Mesh, PD, TD, Spreadsheet) I see plenty of QDoubleSpinBox.