Chamfer edges deletes my objects (newbie)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tzulah

Chamfer edges deletes my objects (newbie)

Post by tzulah »

I am brand new to FreeCAD and relatively new to modeling in general.

I am trying to make a set of stamps, each with a unique shape on it. I have figured out how to import my svg files into FreeCAD, how to extrude them, and how to cut the shape out of a flat cylindrical disc.

What I can't figure out now is how to bevel the edges of the shape. This is a necessary step for the stamp to work - I have tried with vertical edges and it doesn't work. They need to be angled. When I select the face I want to chamfer and apply a length, the whole object I'm working on disappears. I have successfully chamfered the edges of a simple ring, but when I try any of my imported svg shapes it fails in this way. I have done "Check Geometry" on all my things in the Tree View, and no problems have been reported. I am guessing this is due to some kind of problem in the way my shapes are built together?

I've attached a screenshot of a simple test shape. All my real shapes are more complex than this one, and many (if not all) of them have multiple sections and cutouts (compound paths).

I have searched the internet for hours for help and tutorials on this, and while I have made a few minor steps forward, mostly I am just totally stuck.
Can anybody point me in the right direction? I feel like there is a simple solution here, but I don't yet know enough vocabulary to even know where to look for further help.

Thanks so much!!
Attachments
freecad_heart_screenshot3.JPG
freecad_heart_screenshot3.JPG (120.49 KiB) Viewed 1292 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Chamfer edges deletes my objects (newbie)

Post by chrisb »

Welcome to the forum.

When you extrude the inner form you can use a taper angle.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Maybe do some research on wording, instead of chamfer do you mean to say taper or draft. FreeCAD has a "draft" edge tool, you will be able to pick the internal faces and then put a draft on them. It's kind of a picky tool but it does work, I use it often, you might need to do it a couple times to get used to the interface. You can delete the draft and start over if required. Plastics could use 1 degree depending on depth and material.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
I do not have a marker to see the dimensions of your object, but I think the problem is that there is not enough space between the tip of the heart and the edge of the coin.
Decrease the radius to 0.1mm, and see what happens, and increase by 0.1 at each test and look at how big it is crashing: that's the limit
it does not work at all, it is better to make the interior separately and then the exterior.
and still nothing is safe because making a ray in the corners of the heart may never work
Attachments
joli_coeur1.FCStd
(57.32 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
joli_coeur1.PNG
joli_coeur1.PNG (58.55 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Last edited by meme2704 on Fri May 03, 2019 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
HarryGeier
Veteran

Post by HarryGeier »

I would try to create a copy of the heart shape , use draft scale ( or draft scaled clone ) to create a shape with , let´s say 0.5 mm offset, move it up in Z axis and then create a part loft from them.

Just an idea, have not tried it.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

HarryGeier wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 6:57 am I would try to create a copy of the heart shape , use draft scale ( or draft scaled clone ) to create a shape with , let´s say 0.5 mm offset, move it up in Z axis and then create a part loft from them.
Scale can sort of work on konvex shapes, but as soon as you have "intrusions" you have places where it is impossible to keep it equidistant. You can try 3D or 2D offset though and use the same idea of a loft.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

I think chrisb's 1st idea is quite good.
I'd actually use 2 extrusions of the same sketch. One straight to the inside of the stamp, and one tapered to the outside.
In this way I guess it could work with complex shapes.
See picture below and attached file for better comprehension. :)
heart_stamp.png
heart_stamp.png (11.84 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
HTH
Attachments
heart_stamp_OB.FCStd
(30.82 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It is not quite clear, what tzulah wanted. I really like to see that people asking questions come back and react somehow to the proposals made here.

If it is something like a mold then a single tapered heart would do, here with a taper angle of 25°:
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-03 um 18.32.12.png
Bildschirmfoto 2019-05-03 um 18.32.12.png (59.08 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Attachments
heart_stamp_cb.FCStd
(16.06 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
tzulah

Post by tzulah »

Thank you everyone. I am trying some of your suggestions - unfortunately I have to follow tutorials for every suggestion (my base knowledge is still very low) so it is taking me some time to figure out whether it will work. Thus far I have not successfully been able to taper anything using the extrude angle settings, but I think that might be the way to go. If I can figure out how to make it work.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I really like to see that people asking questions, come back and react somehow to the proposals made here.
That's because we have lots of heart. Oh! Someone had to say it. :lol: