sketch (non XY) movement problem

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: sketch (non XY) movement problem

Post by bejant »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:25 pm Thanks for the clarification. I edited my post to make the references clearer.
Chris, you were sleepy - when you wake up and are well rested, look at your edit again.
You're beating poor Jim up for nothing :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Post is corrected :oops: . For future reference: Please consider that my late night posts may have the opposite meaning of what they say. I opened three quotations of posts from me in separate browser tabs and now I'm afraid of looking at the third quotation of a late night post.

Edit: Phew, at least that one was correct.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Daniel Cocoliso

Post by Daniel Cocoliso »

Daniel Cocoliso wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:59 pm
jmaustpc wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:31 am
8) After some more testing, it would seem that the system is remembering the attachment plane of the last few sketches that were in edit mode, and with each recompute it cycles back through them all until you get to the correct one. To see this, enter then exit edit mode for "Sketch", then "Sketch002", and then do the same for "Sketch001" (which is the sketch created by "Duplicate"), then after exiting edit mode for Sketch001 notice its apparent change in attachment plane...click on recompute repeatedly and watch "sketch001" apparently cycle through the attachment planes of the other two in the order in which you had entered/exited edit mode for each.
Right, with your file, every time I recompute the Sketch001, it change form one plane to other, and at the next recompute to the next plane, and so on!

Thanks for all ;-)
Hi all.

This is what I mean, it was marked in blue.

What I mean from the beginning is when you create a copy of a sketch, that is not in the XY plane, if you try to move (I wanted to make a loft, for example), that copy of the sketch automatically rotates to get in the plane XY, and when I leave the move function, the original sketch rotate also to the XY plane.

I hope it is the clear enough. ;-)
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Daniel Cocoliso wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:26 pm What I mean from the beginning is when you create a copy of a sketch, that is not in the XY plane, if you try to move (I wanted to make a loft, for example), that copy of the sketch automatically rotates to get in the plane XY, and when I leave the move function, the original sketch rotate also to the XY plane.
I guess you're using FreeCAD 0.18? If so, that's a bug, and it has been fixed in FreeCAD 0.19. You can get FreeCAD 0.19 here:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.19_pre

FreeCAD 0.18 and 0.19 can both coexist on your computer.

The Sketch rotating in the 3D view every time FreeCAD recomputes (the words that you highlighted in blue relate to this) is caused by a problem in the FreeCAD .fcstd file that jmaustpc posted, so it only happens with that file.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

bejant wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 am the FreeCAD .fcstd file that jmaustpc posted, so it only happens with that file.
After a sleep, I have looked at this again. I missed what was going on earlier and I am now editing the bug ticket. There is a bug in my file, FreeCAD put it in there although admittedly with my help. :)

I found a way to easily create a cyclic dependency because there is a bug in the "Map Sketch" tool in PartDesign. It offers the axis planes of the sketch for selection rather than those of the body etc.. So I had selected "ZX of object" for example, thinking at a glance that the "object" being referred to was the Body, but it was the sketch itself. Obviously this is a bug because why would FreeCAD offer to attach a sketch to an axis plane of itself?

So the bug in my file is easy to reproduce. 1)duplicate or copy paste a sketch, 2) drag it into the active body, then select that sketch and click "Map Sketch" icon, select the same sketch from the drop down list, then select one of the "object's" axis planes.....you then have attached the sketch to itself...a cyclic dependency. :)

another example file
testpartdesignattachment.FCStd
(42.45 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

That's great that you finally found out how these dependencies could have been created!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Yes, thanks for digging into this, Jim!
Daniel Cocoliso

Post by Daniel Cocoliso »

bejant wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 am ...

I guess you're using FreeCAD 0.18? If so, that's a bug, and it has been fixed in FreeCAD 0.19. You can get FreeCAD 0.19 here:

Thanks, I'll download it and try it (play with FreeCad :D )

I was checking the FreeCad home page and I could only download 0.18. I didn't fall in search in githug.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Daniel Cocoliso wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:51 pm
bejant wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:08 am ...

Thanks, I'll download it and try it (play with FreeCad :D )

I was checking the FreeCad home page and I could only download 0.18. I didn't fall in search in githug.
look a bit further down on the FreeCAD home page, there is a link that says "development builds" or something like that, which should take you the the downloads on GitHub. If you scroll up and down the github downloads page, you will find the 0.18 release downloads and further down the 0.19 dev snapshots.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It is not easy to see, because you additionally have to click on "Assets" to expand the list of downloads.