TechDraw question

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roland

TechDraw question

Post by Roland »

Dear TechDraw,

I checked the tutorials, but cannot find a clue:

How could I get rid of the dots in this drawing?
Attachments
WhatAreTheDots.png
WhatAreTheDots.png (287.17 KiB) Viewed 6511 times
NCCALCADA

Re: TechDraw question

Post by NCCALCADA »

I roland,
Not sure of myself, but maybe try "turn view frame on or off" ?

Have you tried exporting the drawing in pdf to see inf the dots stay ?
Attachments
i_may_be_totally_wrong.png
i_may_be_totally_wrong.png (19.38 KiB) Viewed 6499 times
Boneshaker

Post by Boneshaker »

Hi,
these dots are vertices.
In Preferences TechDraw Dimensions tab there are 2 options »Vertex Scale« and »Vertex Color«.
Give scale a value of 1 and change color to black.

Setting scale to 0 the vertices will not be selectable to apply dimensions.

But NCCALCADA is right, on pdf export there are no vertices.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roland wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:36 pm Dear TechDraw,

I checked the tutorials, but cannot find a clue:

How could I get rid of the dots in this drawing?
vocx wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm Do you mean the node sizes?

These can be configured, Re: Help with TechDraw, or turned off with TechDraw Toggle.
wandererfan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 pm
muzee wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:46 pm (what's up with the bold nodes at the end of each line?)
They were actually added for testing since I was having trouble seeing/selecting Vertices. :)

As @vocx said the size of the dots can be adjusted in the preferences and you can toggle them on/off with TechDraw_Toggle or RMB context menu.
Why do you expect to find this information in the tutorials? The tutorials guide you through a process, they won't explain every single option in the workbench. That information is in the full documentation, TechDraw Workbench.

By the way, as a general advice, can you give the thread a meaningful title? It seems the only title users can think of is "Help me with TechDraw!" Using a more detailed title will result in future users finding the information they seek.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Roland

Post by Roland »

Thanks Boneshaker!

That's the trick.

By the way, the information is NOT in the full documentation. At least not for a guy who does not know that those dots are vertices. Great that there are people who have some patience with the mere users.

Greetz

Roland
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roland wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:43 pm By the way, the information is NOT in the full documentation. At least not for a guy who does not know that those dots are vertices. Great that there are people who have some patience with the mere users.
Would you mind adding it? Newbies know what newbies don't know - and where they search for it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Roland wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 7:43 pm By the way, the information is NOT in the full documentation. At least not for a guy who does not know that those dots are vertices. Great that there are people who have some patience with the mere users.
It's there, it's just deep in the pile. TechDraw_Preferences near the bottom.

Any suggestions on how to make this easier to find?
Roland

Post by Roland »

@Chrisdb and @Wandererfan

dear developers,

Perhaps this issue was not a matter of unclear instructions or documentation.

The black dots in my drawing that Boneshaker suspected were vertices, should not have been there at all, independent of whatever preference settings. Note that FreeCAD presented the vertices/dots in the view in which Frames were toggled off. You can see this in the picture of my initial question in this thread. That should not happen (says wiki: "Click on Toggle Frames. The Vertices and View frames will disappear." (www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Basic_TechDraw_Tutorial)). Is this a bug? I have no clue. A fact is, that I was not able to reproduce this behaviour on the following day.

If it happens again, I shall report it in the development forum. OK?

Greetz,

Roland

PS:
Suggestion to improve www.freecadweb.org/wiki/TechDraw_Preferences:
To provide a picture of the current GUI. This picture does not show Vertex Scale
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Roland wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:53 pm ...
Note that FreeCAD presented the vertices/dots in the view in which Frames were toggled off. You can see this in the picture of my initial question in this thread. That should not happen (says wiki: "Click on Toggle Frames. The Vertices and View frames will disappear."
Occasionally the interface has this buggy behavior where some frames are shown and others are not. To solve this you just have to press the TechDraw Toggle button a few times, so everything is refreshed. It's a strange thing of unknown origin (some internal views aren't refreshed correctly) but doesn't seem to be a serious problem.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roland wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 1:53 pm If it happens again, I shall report it in the development forum. OK?
Please report it, especially if it is reproducible. But not in the developer forum, post it here in the help forum, that's the right place. Developer forum is where you post if you are developing yourself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.