[fixed] Ticket #3978 - reference sketch dimensions lose their reference mode

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: reference sketch dimensions loose their reference mode

Post by abdullah »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm But then you can select the dimension and use the corresponding toolbar button to turn it into driving.
Yes, I can. However, doing double click is handy.
uwestoehr wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:31 pm I am opposed to "magic". If I open a reference dimension and then press OK without changing it, I did not change it so why should it automatically be changed? A good UI should only do what the user tells it should do.
Yup. Magic is not good. Automatic changes helping the user avoid further UI iterations and clearly showing to him what is to be expected are not magic though. That it was I was mentioning complementing the wanted behaviour with additional GUI elements not to surprise the user.

Thinking about how exactly, a checkbox showing the state, came to my mind.
openBrain wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 12:38 pm
IMHO, the best solution would be that there is a toggle button in the constraint editing box that both indicates current state (driven or driving) and allows the user to switch mode.

EDIT : another acceptable solution would be that a driven(reference) dimension always displays an editing value of something like "#ref". If the user change it for a number, then it become driving.
Yup, I came to the same conclusion of the need to show the state.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Ticket #3978 - reference sketch dimensions lose their reference mode

Post by uwestoehr »