Windmill project

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Windmill project

Post by chrisb »

bejant wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:42 am Maybe this attached pdf is better?
That's much better, the postscript didn't show the yellow labels, so I wondered already why you uploaded it anyway.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Boneshaker

Post by Boneshaker »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:46 pm
Boneshaker wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 3:09 pm Maybe we make a monthly FreeCAD challenge in the showcase forum to build a library of more complex examples.
:+1:
I prepare something for next month.
The whole assembly will have 26 parts, no puzzle everything has it's place, but a lot of room for pads, pockets, cylinders, chamfers, fillets, work flow ...
Here is a little teaser:
Teaser.PNG
Teaser.PNG (5.48 KiB) Viewed 664 times
NCCALCADA

Post by NCCALCADA »

Boneshaker wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:22 pm I prepare something for next month.
The whole assembly will have 26 parts, no puzzle everything has it's place, but a lot of room for pads, pockets, cylinders, chamfers, fillets, work flow ...
Here is a little teaser:
Teaser.PNG
Nice :)
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

windmill, no nothing to grind.

wind turbine, no, flat fins not aerofoil profile, energy extracted goes with cube of wind speed.

anemometer, possibly.

toy for children to run around with.

Motivation for post: homework : most probably.

"my friend" GF's homework, hoping to impress by saying he did it for her.

Fun rating 9/10.

Now for the real thing. A Freecad model to cut windturbine blades from Piggot's famous Scottish wind generators may actually be useful. I have "a friend" who went on a course and actually made one from Douglas pine, using a spoke shave. One of my general ideas of getting into cnc was that would be a cool thing to make.

http://windempowerment.org/the-piggott-turbine/

one of the neat ideas in this design is the furling hinge, which automatically puts it side-on in the case of strong winds.
This is a very successful, low tech, design with hundreds of working installations. IIRC Piggot originally got a lot of folks in scottish isles, with no grid, energy independent.