File saving issue V 0.18

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
un1corn

File saving issue V 0.18

Postby un1corn » Fri May 17, 2019 9:12 am

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at upstream/releases/FreeCAD-0-18)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)

Hi all, I have recently installed V0.18 and seems to be stable on my machine where as V0.17 was not (due to windows resizing when importing parts in assembly).
However I do have a file saving issue.
When I start a sketch and save it, then continue to work on the Part/Sketch and save again and close that file or if I shut down and open the file again to continue to work on it, I find only the first saving of the file is there.
The second or subsequent savings do not appear to have occured.
This is the same with Ctrl S, Save from toolbar and Save from File pull down menu, the only way I can get Save to work is to Save As with a different file name each time i.e. add an incrementing number in the filename each time, that's OK unless I forget to Save As and just press save and so lose the last work applied.
Do I need to do anything different, I assumed the file saving procedure to be as in previous versions?
I have uninstalled and reinstalled FreeCAD but the issue still exists.
I have not experienced this problem with any other software.
Comment appreciated.
Thanks.
chrisb

Re: File saving issue V 0.18

Postby chrisb » Fri May 17, 2019 10:13 am

Reinstalling usually doesn't help, but you can try to reset your configuration in the preferences.

Can this be an OS issue outside of FreeCAD?
un1corn

Postby un1corn » Sun May 19, 2019 8:11 am

I seem to have overcome this issue, after looking through File Explorer I found numerous entries for the file in question which had a series of characters attached them, the subsequent re-saves of the file was unable to rename the file as a result of the extended filename which I believe as result of containing or collecting an error at the time of first save.

After deleting those multiple entries (64 in total) and starting afresh all now seems OK and Save works as it should.
I have attached a small PDF file showing some of the entries found, perhaps one of the many experts out there can give me a better idea of how the first error may have occurred.
Thanks
Attachments
F_ex.pdf
(217.38 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun May 19, 2019 9:17 am

You can attach such things directly to the post or even put them here as text in code tags </>, which makes it easier to read without clicking to and fro.
These files look like autosave files. Did you ever have any crashes while working on that file?
un1corn

Postby un1corn » Sun May 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Not that I recall, As the object at first save was just a rectangular block with no other features, as I am only just becoming acquainted with V0.18 I saved probably more often than necessary, it was around the third save that the error occurred.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun May 19, 2019 4:02 pm

Autosave is different from backup. The former are created automatically after a certain time which can be configured in the preferences. The latter are created when you actively save the file yourself.