View keeps spinning and zooming

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: View keeps spinning and zooming

Post by TheMarkster »

arska wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 pm
I can confirm that this same spinning happens in 0.19 when my Logitech G27 wheel is connected.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17433 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 125380ddd9a1fdeb45ffc736040dad1f6343daa4
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Finnish/Finland (fi_FI)
In the Tools menu -> customize -> spaceball tabs what do you see? I'm wondering if FreeCAD is seeing these devices as spaceballs. If so, perhaps it can be disabled there.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

TheMarkster wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:03 pm In the Tools menu -> customize -> spaceball tabs what do you see? I'm wondering if FreeCAD is seeing these devices as spaceballs. If so, perhaps it can be disabled there.
Absolutely spot on, I fished out my old Logitech Formula Force EX to test and sure enough I could reproduce the fault. I just disabled Translations and Rotations in Spaceball Motion tab and I can leave it plugged it.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

But....if you have Record Log Messages ticked in Edit > Preferences > General > Output Window tab then you get a continuous output of:

Code: Select all

X-Axis: 368

Y-Axis: 128
using:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17433 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 125380ddd9a1fdeb45ffc736040dad1f6343daa4
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

...so I disconnected it again!!
Frank De Block-Burij

Post by Frank De Block-Burij »

Problem solved thanks to the tips below, thank you
I had the same problem

I am in the middle of a rather steep learning curve transiting from Trimble SketchUp to FreeCAD
when all of a sudden, my models started spinning around
extremely frustrating
I must have switched the animation settings off and on 30 times or more
I have erased and reinstalled FreeCAD
all to no avail

I disconnected my 3DConnection 3D mouse (which I didn't use anyway)
problem solved!
THANK YOU !
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

With a simple 3 button (roller middle button) mouse and CAD mode selected, the whole "continue rotation for some period after I let go of the buttons in a particular sequence" feature annoying. Even though I have it turned off in Preferences, it seems to ignore those and still does the continue rotation trick.

What is the purpose of such a "feature"? Why would I not want the rotation to stop? The purpose is to find a position I would like to view.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:28 pm What is the purpose of such a "feature"? Why would I not want the rotation to stop? The purpose is to find a position I would like to view.
It could be used for presentations.
I agree though, that this is probably a feature which is used rare enough to be removed from the mouse handling. It is in similar form still available in the ViewTools menu.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:37 pm
drmacro wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:28 pm What is the purpose of such a "feature"? Why would I not want the rotation to stop? The purpose is to find a position I would like to view.
It could be used for presentations.
I agree though, that this is probably a feature which is used rare enough to be removed from the mouse handling. It is in similar from still available in the View menu.
Agreed. I would think, though, the turntable feature in Tools would be more applicable to presentations.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:45 pm Agreed. I would think, though, the turntable feature in Tools would be more applicable to presentations.
That's what I meant. I have corrected my post above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.