cannot drill hole

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bogu7

cannot drill hole

Post by Bogu7 »

In part design I see a nice tool for putting a hold (even threaded!) through a .. solid? Pad? Sketch? Not sure, since I cannot get it to apply anywhere! What is the proper way touse this tool?
NCCALCADA

Re: cannot drill hole

Post by NCCALCADA »

Attachments
Sans titre.png
Sans titre.png (117.36 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please note, that the diameter of the hole is independent from the diameter of the circle in the sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bogu7

Post by Bogu7 »

FTR when I started I was trying to use the hole tool in the toolbar, which looks like it has nice options for auto threading, countersink, etc. I do not need to, though; a simple hole would do.

I got the pad and the second body with the circle. But how the heck do you get from screenshot 3 to 4? I am not finding any buttons or options for "parametize the hole"
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Bogu7 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:34 pm FTR when I started I was trying to use the hole tool in the toolbar, which looks like it has nice options for auto threading, countersink, etc. I do not need to, though; a simple hole would do.

I got the pad and the second body with the circle. But how the heck do you get from screenshot 3 to 4? I am not finding any buttons or options for "parametize the hole"
You need to select the sketch containing the circle, then click the Hole tool icon. It should bring up a task dialog where you can select the parameters. These parameters can later be edited in the data tab of the combo view. I don't believe threading has actually been implemented yet, but I haven't kept up with the latest FreeCAD developments. But even without threading it can still be useful as a convenient way of dimensioning the hole to be tapped later. Otherwise one would need to look up the drill size needed for a particular tap size, then pocket a sketch to create the hole, which is what I usually do. In my tap and die set I keep a printout of drill sizes needed for the various taps.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
It's stupid to use "Hole to drill a hole, it's better to constrain the circle in diameter and use " Pocket,
unless you want to make a cuntersink or the hole before tapping
Personally I know by memory all the diameter of drilling of M3 to M16 and for the others I know that the diameter of the hole = M - pitch (still it is necessary to know the pitch),
and if I want to have a tapping hole, I'll look for in FastenerWb for a had-hoc screw and do a Boolean subtraction
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

meme2704 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:27 pm Hi
It's stupid to use "Hole to drill a hole, it's better to constrain the circle in diameter and use " Pocket,
unless you want to make a cuntersink or the hole before tapping
@meme2704 please work on refraining from using pejorative value judgement words like 'stupid' as this is subject to stifle discussions . Please consider less subjective 'loaded' words like 'IMO this is not as efficient as' or 'that doesn't make sense to me, instead I propose X . It's just clearer and less prone to misinterpretation. Thank you
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs