printer friendly version of a sketch.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Re: printer friendly version of a sketch.

Post by freman »

I tried to print but the job failed ( something about filter failed ) . I wanted to save to SVG but it says this type of object is not supported. Maybe I'm not clicking in the right place. This seems exactly the sort of thing to convert to SVG. If I have an SVG, I can print that.

Can you help with that?

EDIT: turned out root fs was full to the rafters, that was blocking a temp file for CUPS ;) I'd still like an SVG though.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

meme2704 wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:49 pm Hi
If it's only to keep a printed trace of your drawing and without scale, you can take a screenshot and print
Yes, I had thought of that but I only have a monochrome printer, that's why I said printer friendly output. That dark blue will make the whole page grey.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Preferance /color you can change screen from black to with , and lign for black
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

That is a very good idea, mon ami, since some of these colour do work well with my retinal colour differentiation, but I can't find which pref relates to the outline colour of the block. I think I've done the rounds but I can't find anything which changes it.

Are you able to tell me exactly what the name of that line type is and on which preference page I will find it?

Dark line on light background would work well for printing and also could be fine for the GUI.

TIA.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If you are after creating a SVG file. I would recommend creating a view of the Sketch on TechDraw drawing page and to add desired dimensions. Export the result to SVG after. This is considered to be a standard and recommended procedure for creating drawings and therefore best if you get familiar with the procedure ASAP.

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Basic_TechDraw_Tutorial
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks for that suggestion but I was not looking for a fully fledged drawing in this case just a printout for reference in the workshop. I will check out what you recommend though, that will be useful for proper drawings.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

freman wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:20 pm That dark blue will make the whole page grey.
Try doing it this way:

From the pull-down menu go to Tools > Save Picture.
Click the Extended button in the Save Picture window.
Change the Background field from Current to White.
Give your image a File Name, then click the Save button.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks, that is a useful approach. However some of the lines will not be visible if I just change the background to white. I have fiddled with the colour preferences as someone suggested above. This allowed a light ( off white ) background and darker lines that contrast well with that. I now use those colours all the time. I did have to do a screenshot and then use Firefox to print it. You suggestion gives an alternative to taking a screenshot, which is nice.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

You said you wanted "printer friendly" so....
freman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:38 am However some of the lines will not be visible if I just change the background to white
Just go into your FreeCAD settings while in PartDesign WB and change the line colour from white to presumably black for easy printing and make the background white.
freman wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:38 am This allowed a light ( off white ) background and darker lines that contrast well with that.
that is a bad idea, ......assuming you want it printer friendly,...... the background should be plain simple white, any other colour will require the printer to fill the background with ink, dramatically wasting ink and slowing the printer down by a lot. Most printers assume that most of the ink used will be black so they usually have a much larger black ink, so generally you try to use black wherever it makes sense. But the white background is the most import aspect of making its print friendly.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks, if I was using an inkjet you would be correct. Inkjet printers are a racket that I got out of years ago. ;)

I'm using a monochrome laser printer and the pale off white hardly leaves a trace. It makes no difference printing time on a laser.