Sketches have disappeared?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ChucasWATJfan

Sketches have disappeared?

Post by ChucasWATJfan »

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and have run into a problem with one of my projects. I'm not sure what I did or how to undo it. It seems as though all of my objects/sketches in the tree have been grouped into a single object that I can no longer edit. The part was made in version .17 but I just installed the most recent version .18 today. Does anyone have any idea how to get my object tree back with my sketches so I can edit them? I'll attempt to provide any additional info necessary. Thanks in advance

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (116.79 KiB) Viewed 1528 times
meme2704
Veteran

Re: Sketches have disappeared?

Post by meme2704 »

When you are told that deforestation is putting the planet at risk there is still some septic to refuse it, so :mrgreen:
If you did not save the Fc file, it is not recoverable, what did you save :?:
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

According the screenshot, just look like you opened a mesh export (.STL or so) rather than the original FreeCAD file. ;)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

ChucasWATJfan wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:19 pm I'm not sure what I did or how to undo it.
As openbrain said above, this is not your original file, it is a mesh object that you presumably exported from your original file. It was most likely an STL file, but it is possible that it is a mesh object contained in a FCStd (FreeCAD) file.

Hopefully, and very likely, you also kept the original FreeCAD project file. If not you likely have to remodel it again since a mesh object is a lossy format it is impossible to truly go back to a solid since so much information was lost in the conversion to a mesh. For example a mesh has no curves only triangles approximating a curve and also the file you show has none of your original history.
ChucasWATJfan

Post by ChucasWATJfan »

Thanks for the replies. I did export this as an .STL file, which I have saved separately. What likely happened at some point though is that I accidentally saved the .STL file over my original file. That is unfortunate but thankfully it won't be too hard to whip up again. I'll have to be more careful in the future. Thanks again for the help.

-Luke
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What most likely happened is that you reopened the most recent file. If you do so, you don't get the last opened file but the last written one.
Open the FCStd file and you hopefully get everything back.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Hi Luke, and welcome to the forum! I'll add that you might what to look for a backup of your zgantrymount1.fcstd file named zgantrymount1.fcstd1. Rename zgantrymount1.fcstd1 to something else, and change the file extension from .fcstd1 to .fcstd, open it in FreeCAD, and see what you have.