[Solved] Arbitrary cone

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jruiz

[Solved] Arbitrary cone

Post by jruiz »

Good morning.
Suppose we have the face F of an arbitrary form belonging to some arbitrary object and a point P in space.
Is there any way of building a "cone" whose base being F and its vertex at P?
Regards
Last edited by jruiz on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Arbitrary cone

Post by chrisb »

Create the Point in Draft workbench and use Part->Loft. In PartDesign I recommend to create instead of the point an ever so tiny copy of the base sketch for lofting.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
meme2704
Veteran

Post by meme2704 »

Hi
The answer is yes, except that a point is not recognized, it is necessary to create a mini circle (r = 0.01mm)
Attachments
cone quelconque.FCStd
(25.63 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
cone quelconque.PNG
cone quelconque.PNG (9.62 KiB) Viewed 1746 times
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:37 am Create the Point in Draft workbench and use Part->Loft. In PartDesign I recommend to create instead of the point an ever so tiny copy of the base sketch for lofting.
Excelent!
Using that "non dimensionless point" :D of Draft Workbech did the job i was looking for.
Thanks a lot.
Last edited by jruiz on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

meme2704 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:47 am Hi
The answer is yes, except that a point is not recognized, it is necessary to create a mini circle (r = 0.01mm)
Thanks a lot for your answer. These two ways of "cheating" loft tool (yours and that of chrisb ) work fine. The users have choices...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Both Part Loft and Part Sweep, can use a vertex/point as a profile, but there are limitations/complications. See the wiki for a detailed explanation.

The point/vertex can be a Draft WB point but there is also a point in Part WB.

Part_Loft particularly under the subtitle "Limitations and complications"

and

Part_Sweep
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jruiz wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:23 am
Thanks a lot for your answer. These two ways of "cheating" loft tool (yours and that of chrisb ) work fine. The users have choices...
meme2704 is wrong, you can use a point. the wiki explains all the complications etc.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:33 am
jruiz wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:23 am
meme2704 is wrong, you can use a point. the wiki explains all the complications etc.
When the "vertex" is zoomed in, the (draft) point continues being a point but this is not the case for the small circle.
Last edited by jruiz on Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jruiz wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 pm When the "vertex" is zoomed out, the (draft) point continues being a point but this is not the case for the small circle.
Yes, they are different geometry. However in the real world you would not have a genuine point in most cases, since that would mean that the tip is infinitely small, at a practical scale that might seem like it is true but if you looked under a micro scope it would likely be flat or rounded. FreeCAD's standard default precision for Shapes is extremely small, so depending on what you are making the model for, it is possible that you may be better to actually define the point as some other geometry or it may not matter.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:33 am meme2704 is wrong, you can use a point. the wiki explains all the complications etc.
Perhaps meme2704 was thinking about the Sketcher point, which indeed cannot be used for such a loft, as it is only construction geometry.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.