[Issue] Freecad Py2.5/Qt4 to Py3.6/Qt5 version update: performance issue

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RatonLaveur

Re: [Issue] Freecad Py2.5/Qt4 to Py3.6/Qt5 version update: performance issue

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hi triplus, thanks for joining the fray,

indeed it still seems Qt5 related. Indeed it seems hardware specific.
There are still Qt4 based portable bins for windows ( I used them for comparison), but I have not yet come accross the Py3.6/Qt4 combination and don't even know if that's possible.

Then again it's possible that there are Qt5 based choices that could be reverted for maximum graphic performance or something like that.

If nothing can be done and I can't use Python 3.6 based FC, then yes, I'll have to move on to another hardware. But that would be a shame. My jolly old cow works wonderfully and, perhaps I'm wrong, but I don't feel like FC has reasons to become more gluttonous graphically. Seems fine as it is. And i don't feel like the viewport displays all that much more anyway. But again, when I'm not wrong i've often been found to be mistaken.
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hello gents,

Some news:

I tried with the following build: FreeCAD_0.19.17137_x64_LP_12.1.2_PY3QT5-WinVS2015

Everything is fast but (because?) my viewport is black...that's interesting...
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

I'm still striving to get to the bottom of this for the sake of exhaustivity. You're welcome to chastize me :)

I have found in the following link https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtquick-visualca ... tions.html something that may or may not help my (other people's ?) case.

It seems QT generally works with OpenGL, but can be set for using Direct3D or software rendering. I know for a fact my computer works better using the software rendering. For example playing some games or running some pieces of software, i get slow/buggy using OpenGL but perfectly fine using software rendering.

Is it possible that that's what FreeCAD with Qt 5 does? is there an option to try this out on my machine?

Thanks for your time and answers !
RatonLaveur

Post by RatonLaveur »

Hi to everyone,

I know this is becoming a "one man post" but I'm still searching for the light, and I figure if this is too much we can delete. Best case scenario this little journal gives a solution...

While checking the issue of blackscreens linked to QT environment variables https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 87#p305613

I noticed that my environment variables are all linked to python27.
2019-07-15_10h41_37.png
2019-07-15_10h41_37.png (30.7 KiB) Viewed 383 times
2019-07-15_10h41_05.png
2019-07-15_10h41_05.png (31.06 KiB) Viewed 383 times
I'm not an expert unfortunately, but could it be a source of issue, that my environment variable point to a given version of python, when I'm trying to use another one? could be that the issue also happens with QT and explains my slow refresh rate in the newer FreeCAD versions?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you install temporarily a Ubuntu on your machine and see how that works? Perhaps you don't even have to install it, I guess it can run from a USB stick.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.