How can I convert my sketch to a body in PartDesign

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
slomo

How can I convert my sketch to a body in PartDesign

Postby slomo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Hi all, thanks for helping.

I spent a few hours searching for the answer, but I had to finally come here.

I use FreeCad infrequently, although I had so far created about 8 parts in the last 2 years that I could successfully print, but they were in version 0.16

Now in 0.18 some things looked unfamiliar, and I had trouble making the sketch starting in PartDesign so I just made it in the Sketcher first. But, when I open it in PartDesign and try to make a revolution the problem now is that when I try to make the revolution, it says:

"In order to use PartDesign you need an active Body object in the document. Please make one active (double click) or create one."

I don't remember body's being an intermediate step in 0.16 but I know things change. I tried double clicking on everything I could think of and I seriously dug through every menu and submenu I could find, but I can not find a way to convert my sketch to a body so that I can make a revolution. I'm sure it's something simple, could someone help me out?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16117 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: dbb4cc6415bac848a294f03b80f65e888d531742
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
papyblaise

Re: How can I convert my sketch to a body in PartDesign

Postby papyblaise » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Hello,
Don't panic, it's append a lot of thinks from V.16
The Partdesign is new , and very diferent, now you must create a Body befor draw somethink.
But you can use the old method , after draw an sketch , use Part Wb , it the same as V.16
good luck
slomo

Postby slomo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:11 pm

So are you saying I can't add or import a sketch into a body in PartDesign? That seems like a major problem because Part workbench can't do all the things you can do in PartDesign.
papyblaise

Postby papyblaise » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Yes of course you can :
In Partdesign Wb, click the button with a sort of 2steps to create the body and slip the sketch into : clik the label "Sketch" and puch it to the label "Body" that all
Attachments
Body.PNG
Body.PNG (42.05 KiB) Viewed 196 times
quick61

Postby quick61 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:25 pm

slomo wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:11 pm
So are you saying I can't add or import a sketch into a body in PartDesign? That seems like a major problem because Part workbench can't do all the things you can do in PartDesign.
If all you have in your document is a sketch, just add the body on the same plane as the sketch. If the body already exists, and you have copy/cut - paste a sketch into your document, drag and drop the sketch onto the Body.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:56 pm

There are several more ways of getting a sketch into a body:

An easy way is to select the sketch and create then the body. The sketch is moved to the body and you see the attachment dialog, where you can select the plane to which the sketch should be attached.

The most natural way follows a different workflow:
You switch to PartDesign workbench. There you too have an icon for a new sketch. If you use it without an existing body, a body will be created and the sketch is placed inside.
openBrain

Postby openBrain » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:03 pm

Yeah you can.
Just drag'n'drop your sketch in the body in the treeview. ;)
Then to work in the body, if not already done, activate it by double-clicking on it or RMB -> Toggle active body.
The body label shall display bold when it is active. ;)

EDIT : :oops: looks like the tab stays open a long time in my browser before I post :lol:
slomo

Postby slomo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, I was able to get a couple of them to work, but not the others for some reason.

I know this isn't the place to comment on FreeCad itself, but at 3 of my local FabLabs / Hackerspaces, they teach Fusion 360 and I was suggesting that they also teach FreeCad since it's open source, and I always get the reply that it's too complicated and/or hard to understand. I think that's really a pity, but just this example I had here shows me what they mean. I know the forum has lots of help and I thank all of you for that, but I hope some day we can figure out how to make it easier to use so that it gets more widely adopted.

Thanks again for the solution. One more thing I know now.
DeepSOIC

Postby DeepSOIC » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:03 pm

slomo wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:34 am
I always get the reply that it's too complicated and/or hard to understand. I think that's really a pity, but just this example I had here shows me what they mean.
Actually, that's a rather unlikely situation for beginners with no previous exposure to FC v0.16. Nowadays, the often (un)asked question is how to create a sketch to use for something else than PartDesign. People usually create one in a useless body, and that usually gives expected results despite being the wrong way.

Now you can't easily fork your partdesign sequence, which was a real trap for young players in FC 0.16. I'm not sure, but PartDesign should have become easier to start.
slomo

Postby slomo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:57 pm

So do you recommend new users to start with 0.16? From what I have read here, if someone wants to ask questions in the forum they always want us to use the latest version.

And that gave me an idea, maybe we need a trimmed-down version of FreeCad, like a FreeCad-lite for people who just want to use it to make a sketch and export a .stl for 3D printing. That is the most common desire for new users of CAD these days.