Intersecting contours pocket.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Intersecting contours pocket.

Post by kisolre »

I was under impression that intersecting contours in a single sketch was not good. Why does the following groove work?
IntContGroove.JPG
IntContGroove.JPG (41.78 KiB) Viewed 1381 times
Trying to pocket with the same sketch fails (multiple solids) or gives wrong faces depending on there I move the circles up/down (still intersecting).

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17171 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: d19470a9711ea604f3ca6c93e46afadf64d5bb87
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Bulgarian/Bulgaria (bg_BG)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Intersecting contours pocket.

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload the file?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Sure. But I thought it was clear from the screenshot... Those circles are in one sketch and grove works perfectly fine. First they were just touching - no problem there. Then I moved them closer togerher and realized that they were intersecting and would probably make just the outer contour from arcs. But got lazy and decided to give it a go. And strangely it worked ?!?
Attachments
Crutch handle.FCStd
(516.64 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

Hello
So resolu or not :?:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:47 am Sure. But I thought it was clear from the screenshot... Those circles are in one sketch and grove works perfectly fine. First they were just touching - no problem there. Then I moved them closer togerher and realized that they were intersecting and would probably make just the outer contour from arcs. But got lazy and decided to give it a go. And strangely it worked ?!?
It was clear from the image, but rebuilding with eventually occurring boundary conditions takes some time; so I prefer to use your file. I will fiddle later with it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

kisolre wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:47 am Sure. But I thought it was clear from the screenshot... Those circles are in one sketch and grove works perfectly fine. First they were just touching - no problem there. Then I moved them closer togerher and realized that they were intersecting and would probably make just the outer contour from arcs. But got lazy and decided to give it a go. And strangely it worked ?!?
Actually it didn't work. Yes, it "looks" like it did, but run a geometry check, BOP check enabled and the errors show up. Are you "getting away with" it at this point? Probably. Is it a good model? No.

Use the Arcs, and everything checks fine.

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

quick61 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pm Actually it didn't work.
The solid that does not pass BOP check is the fillet. Groove passes Ok. I tried groove with arcs and fillet fails again but groove is Ok. Any idea what "BOPAlgo GeomAbs_C0" means?
Attachments
GroveWithArcs.JPG
GroveWithArcs.JPG (40.94 KiB) Viewed 1308 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

It's curious that it works with revolve/groove. Maybe that algorithm is more robust than Pad/Pocket.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

kisolre wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:55 pm The solid that does not pass BOP check is the fillet. Groove passes Ok. I tried groove with arcs and fillet fails again but groove is Ok. Any idea what "BOPAlgo GeomAbs_C0" means?
https://people.cs.clemson.edu/~dhouse/c ... plines.pdf

Page 92 seems to explain it. It has something to do with how the curves join.
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

kisolre wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:55 pm The solid that does not pass BOP check is the fillet. Groove passes Ok. I tried groove with arcs and fillet fails again but groove is Ok. Any idea what "BOPAlgo GeomAbs_C0" means?
From what I understand of BOP Check, it does 2 different things :
- it checks actual errors in a shape
- it also tries to highlight the properties of a shape that could lead to errors if this shape is used in a boolean operation

BSpline curves can have sharp points (and surfaces can have sharp edges) : this is C0 continuity.
( I don't know if other geometries can have C0 continuity ).
I think this C0 Continuity is reported in BOP Check because it is a potential failure condition for some higher level operations.
For example, surface offsetting doesn't work on C0 continuous surfaces.
I think sweeping along a C0 curve can also produce twist.

Attached file is a sketch, that has been approximated to a single BSpline curve (with a sharp 'C0' point), that has been extruded to a face (with a sharp 'C0' edge).
This curve and this surface are perfectly valid, but they may probably make some boolean operations to fail.
Attachments
C0_Face.FCStd
(7.23 KiB) Downloaded 113 times