intersection constraint in sketcher?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dimitar

intersection constraint in sketcher?

Post by dimitar »

Hi I am wondering if there is a way to create a constraing based on two intersecting lines in sketcher. I know it can be done with two constraints for each of the lines, but I am wondering whether it can be done with a single constraint?
saso
Veteran

Re: intersection constraint in sketcher?

Post by saso »

add a point?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you elaborate what you want?
In Sketcher many of the constraints work on infinite lines rather than on the line segments which you draw in sketcher, e.g. point-on-object: a point on the line does not have to lie between the endpoints; or tangency: the "tangent" lines don't even need to touch (which ca be seen as a contradiction to the term "tangent").

Following that concept all non parallel lines would intersect, so it would not be a very helpful solution.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

this is what i mean by snapping at an intersection
line.gif
line.gif (90.74 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
But your point is well taken, and it makes sense. Thanks for explaining :)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For this you have to follow saso's recommendation and and add a point with point-on-object on both lines.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Or in the case where the line ends just at the intersection, simply constrains the line endpoint to the 2 intersecting lines with "point-on-object" constraints. ;)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

The two
dimitar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:51 pm I know it can be done with two constraints for each of the lines, but I am wondering whether it can be done with a single constraint?
Select the TWO edges and the point, and apply point-on-object constraint. This creates two constraints in one go. You can also constrain several points to be on one edge, similarly.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:09 pm Select the TWO edges and the point, and apply point-on-object constraint. This creates two constraints in one go. You can also constrain several points to be on one edge, similarly.
Every day there is something to be learned from here: I knew the latter, but never thought of the former.

Thanks for telling!