Help designing a simple enclosure.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fdattein

Help designing a simple enclosure.

Postby fdattein » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:26 am

Hi everyone,

I have trying to learn how to use Freecad, but I am still struggling to design a simple enclosure. The closest tutorial I could find is the "bolt pattern" on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xl9cDp92fo).

However, in the tutorial above, not all the 4 bolts are at the same distance from the walls. Basically, I am struggling to define a constraint to for the right-upper corner, so all 4 bolt holes will be placed at the same distance.
Any hints?

Cheers,
Franklin Dattein
aguseguedre

Re: Help designing a simple enclosure.

Postby aguseguedre » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:57 pm

Hello Fdattein ,

First is better for a proper response if you indicate your FreeCad version etc. Read the first post.

Anyway you must use the external geometry tool, then pick in the upper side of the outside rectangle the color line turn magenta and then you can ad the vertical distance between the inside and outside rectangle.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Regards.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello Franklin,

Welcome here. aguseguedre answered your question, but you mentioned you wanted to create an enclosure.

So I'm guessing you want to model a shape that is hollowed out and set a uniform thickness to the walls. There is a tool for that in v0.13.1828 for Windows and v0.13.1830 for Linux, the "Thickness" tool in the Part workbench.

Here's a quick example.
  1. Model your part as if it was a solid. Add fillets, counterbores to holes if you have them.
    fc_enclosure_01.png
    fc_enclosure_01.png (19.47 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
  2. Select one face you want to open. You can only select one face; if you need to open more, don't worry, you can add them once you've started the tool.
    fc_enclosure_02.png
    fc_enclosure_02.png (11.8 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
  3. Switch to the Part workbench, and click on the "Thickness" tool.
  4. Set your parameters.
    fc_enclosure_03.png
    fc_enclosure_03.png (50.7 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
    • Thickness: a positive value will create the new shape outside of your solid shape. Use a negative value for a shell that shares the same outside surfaces as your solid shape.
    • Mode: not sure what it does, leave it at its default "skin".
    • Join type: leave to default "arc" if you want edges to be rounded. Select "intersection" for straight edges.
    • I'm unsure what the checkboxes "Intersection" and "Self-intersection" are for. I never use them.
    • Click on the "Faces" button to add more open faces. You will have to reselect the previously selected face.
  5. Click OK and you're done! :)
EDIT 2018/07/17: uploaded images as they were removed from the hosting server.
Attachments
test-enclosure.fcstd
(39.5 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Last edited by NormandC on Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fdattein

Postby fdattein » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 am

Hi guys,

thank you very much, both hints will be very helpful to design my enclosure. I am slowly learning through trial and error...

In addition, I found the macro below, which is quite handy as well.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13655

* I am using V0.13 for macos that I got from a dropbox link here in the forum (the 0.13 available in the website doesn't have the OpenScad workbench, that I was after)