Mysterious gap

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster
Veteran

Re: Mysterious gap

Post by TheMarkster »

Consider modeling this as pappyblaise suggested as a revolved profile. You could then incorporate the fillets into the profile sketch and the base sketch.

To get a starting point for a profile sketch you could take a cross-cut of the body on the xz or yz plane, then use draft to sketch in draft workbench to create a sketch from the profile. Use this sketch to create a new body. I would chop off half of the sketch so there is not so much to edit. Then use a copy of base sketch for another body with the base sketch padded. Part:Common both new body objects.

Here is a video demonstrating this:

phpBB [video]

These are just starting points. You still need to add the arcs needed to form the fillets, but you have place to begin if you choose this approach. You still need the pocket for the holes, too. You could also remove the subtractive loft and use body for the pad and pocket instead of making the 3rd body.
Attachments
base 12(v3).FCStd
(190.27 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
darrenmsmith

Re: Mysterious gap

Post by darrenmsmith »

TheMarkster wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:32 pm Consider modeling this as pappyblaise suggested as a revolved profile. You could then incorporate the fillets into the profile sketch and the base sketch.

To get a starting point for a profile sketch you could take a cross-cut of the body on the xz or yz plane, then use draft to sketch in draft workbench to create a sketch from the profile. Use this sketch to create a new body. I would chop off half of the sketch so there is not so much to edit. Then use a copy of base sketch for another body with the base sketch padded. Part:Common both new body objects.

Here is a video demonstrating this:

phpBB [video]

These are just starting points. You still need to add the arcs needed to form the fillets, but you have place to begin if you choose this approach. You still need the pocket for the holes, too. You could also remove the subtractive loft and use body for the pad and pocket instead of making the 3rd body.
Great video, thanks! Many of things that you did I got totally lost. Starting all over with a different approach is too much at this point. Thanks again, I appreciate the time on all your answers you have provided.