How to create BIM slabs from fusion faces

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dimitar

How to create BIM slabs from fusion faces

Post by dimitar »

I am intersecting planes with a lofted shape, and using a compound filter to get the right elements. How can i turn them into bases for BIM slabs (add thickness and appropriate IFC tag), while preserving the parametric associations?

I tried the obvious, of having my faces selected and using the slab button on the faces, but that didn't work. (I imagine it could be a list of objects vs objects challenge)

I also tried to run "extrude selected sketch on the filtered selection" but freecad thinks forever and crashes. It seems to work fine on a filter with a single element but not a list of elements.

Attached is a simplified model that should be in m but is temporarily in mm. I imagine the logic should hold true, no matter the scale.
Last edited by dimitar on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: How to create BIM slabs from fusion faces

Post by papyblaise »

Hello
From CompoudFilter1 go to Draft Wb , use the large down bleu arrow 2 time , you get 6 planes , then then, go to Part Wb and extrude each plane
now you can soubstract the sphere from each relevent slices , or (for exemple) drill holle in each
Th efile is too big , I have to delete 6 slices , the form of the sphere and the hole
Attachments
slices of cake.FCStd
(850.06 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
slice of cake.PNG
slice of cake.PNG (32.5 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:25 am Hello
From CompoudFilter1 go to Draft Wb , use the large down bleu arrow 2 time , you get 6 planes , then then, go to Part Wb and extrude each plane
now you can soubstract the sphere from each relevent slices , or (for exemple) drill holle in each
Hi. Thanks for the answer, but this workflow breaks the parametric relationship. I'm wondering if there is something similar without breaking the tree
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

sometimes we have to get off our tree, as the gorillas say :lol:
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

dimitar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 pm How can i turn them into bases for BIM slabs (add thickness and appropriate IFC tag), while preserving the parametric associations?
Did you try to use the draft clone feature?
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Draft_Clone/fr
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

this is a simple version of a direction we should be going...

- test01 allows you to play with the building (cone) sizes, levels heights and slabs thickens,
- test02 is a small upgrade from test01 to allow you to play with the building shapes,
- test03 is a small upgrade from test02 just to playing with a bit more organic shapes...

GIF.gif
GIF.gif (893.62 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
GIF.gif
GIF.gif (161.42 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Attachments
test03.FCStd
(117 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
test02.FCStd
(60.14 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
test01.FCStd
(11.85 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Last edited by saso on Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

GlouGlou wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm
dimitar wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:08 pm How can i turn them into bases for BIM slabs (add thickness and appropriate IFC tag), while preserving the parametric associations?
Did you try to use the draft clone feature?
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Draft_Clone/fr
Yes, I have tried the Draft Clone tool but it didn't help.
saso wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:56 pm this is a simple version of a direction we should be going...

- test01 allows you to play with the building (cone) sizes, levels heights and slabs thickens,
- test02 is a small upgrade from test01 to allow you to play with the building shapes,
- test03 is a small upgrade from test02 just to playing with a bit more organic shapes...
Thank you for these. I tried to array one of the leves created with partdesign but the array doesn't seem to like that input. Much appreciated from you and everyone else chipping in the conversation!

I should perhaps explain a little better what my intentions are and the reason for searching for a more "automatic" approach than doing each floor manually. As an architect, working on some fairly complex projects, I am highly interested in the potential of Freecad as both a concept design and BIM tool. Within concept design, we typically come up with a shape based on some paramaters (site, program, orientation, floorplate depth, etc) to come up with our mass. Once we have a mass, we need to quickly test it out with floors to see whether our intended areas are on target. Typically we do this by either "filling the ship" with floorplates at a specified floor height until we hit the right area or we indicate the number of levels and we cross check the generated and the intended floor areas. Up until this step, the example I posted initially works. This is an iterative process, where we may tweak the mass, and need to generate new floors.

Once we are happy with the massing, and the floor faces that are being generated, we need to generate floor slabs from the faces. However, we always tweak the massing geometry and hence the need to have some type of link to the actual intersection geometry.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Yes, I am working for 15+ years in architecture and understand what you are trying to do. Maybe you are expecting a bit to much from FreeCAD, a lot of it is still in research and development, it can be quite powerful (specially if you are good at coding) and has a lot of potential, but tools and workflows are for sure not as polished as in other tools... There is however also probably a bit of a split between how I am trying to use it and how most of the other AEC users here are approaching it. I see it in its core as a fully parametric modeler, closer to solidworks, inventor, catia, nx,... and I am trying to learn and research the workflows and concepts from this tools and how to use them for architecture and AEC in general, while others are researching and developing to bring it closer to other commercial AEC and BIM tools. So for example, complex sketches and complex Boolean are all bad practice in my book. And yes if you want more datum planes for levels you will have to set them up manually (copy and attach them to each other) or write a script that will automate it for you... at least for now :)

Basic idea of the above example (test02 and test03) is, you should be able to drop inside the MasterShape compound what ever shape you like (MasterShape -> Property View -> Data Tab -> Links, try to change this to some of the standard objects Cube, Sphere, Cone or to the Cut or Fusion or the Loft, you can also change dimensions of some of this objects or create some of your own) and it will create slabs from the shape on the preset levels.

PS Similar to how you can modify the objects in the MasterShape you can also modify the objects in the Cut (Property View -> Data Tab -> Base and Tool) and Fusion (Property View -> Data Tab -> Shapes)
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

saso wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:37 pm I see it in its core as a fully parametric modeler, closer to solidworks, inventor, catia, nx,... and I am trying to learn and research the workflows and concepts from this tools and how to use them for architecture and AEC in general
Ditto! I've used Catia briefly during an workshop highlighting its revamped AEC capabilities, and I was very impressed. In fact, that experience turned me on to Freecad, after noticing many similarities. I have no doubt that Catia and maybe Freecad could become the future of BIM, as the industry and building projects become more and more complex.

To me it feels like freecad has all the necessary ingredients, they just need continue to be cooked :) As for my inquiry in this thread if there is no straightforward solution, it feels like if a conditional could be introduced for thicken or for Arch slabs to read a list of items or an item (list[item].shape.face or item.shape.face), that could make the flexibility of multiple cuts being able to be further manipulated as if they are any other type of geometry.
Last edited by dimitar on Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

A bit of topic but still related... You seem to have quite a bit of experience with Grasshopper and I guess you have also worked a bit with Catia xGenerative Design, have you seen this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 9&start=40 ? Maybe you could help a bit microelly2, at least with some advice if you don't code, to create some more interesting demo :roll: