How to Pocket when you Fillets

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to Pocket when you Fillets

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:43 am don't you see the same subject :?:
No, the subject overthere is "Mysterious gap".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Accessdenied

Post by Accessdenied »

I have a model, where I used the pocket to remove a part of filled. Previously it worked, I've made some changes before this and it is not working anymore, and there is an error: Pocket: Resulting shape is not a solid. Internal name: Pocket 008.
How can it be as there is the same feature and fillet at the same place, but not pocket cannot be used to remove part of it.. ?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Accessdenied wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:14 pm I have a model, where I used the pocket to remove a part of filled. Previously it worked, I've made some changes before this and it is not working anymore, and there is an error: Pocket: Resulting shape is not a solid. Internal name: Pocket 008.
How can it be as there is the same feature and fillet at the same place, but not pocket cannot be used to remove part of it.. ?
Most likely it is because of the topological naming problem.

The edge that the pocket was attached to is no longer the same name.

Reattach the sketch to the new edge will probably fix it.

Might have to do the same for the fillet.

It would be much easier to help if we had the freecad file to look at though... :(
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Accessdenied

Post by Accessdenied »

drmacro wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:25 pm
Accessdenied wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:14 pm I have a model, where I used the pocket to remove a part of filled. Previously it worked, I've made some changes before this and it is not working anymore, and there is an error: Pocket: Resulting shape is not a solid. Internal name: Pocket 008.
Most likely it is because of the topological naming problem.

The edge that the pocket was attached to is no longer the same name.

Reattach the sketch to the new edge will probably fix it.

Might have to do the same for the fillet.

It would be much easier to help if we had the freecad file to look at though... :(
I am not sure that I want to give it to public internet.. well, here is an image:Image
Here you see my back up file, when it worked. Then I made some geometry changes, sure, I deleted and added fillet again, which goes after polar pattern 001 and which I pocked with sketch you can see in white here. I do absolutely the same, but got this error..
What I figured out is, when I raise my plane on which this sketch is seen to the height I wanted to apply this pocket and then try pocketing this fillet reverse direction, then it also do not work until it's in full height of fillet like 1,5 mm here, but if I use 1,4999, then it cuts this fillet..
I know this topology problem and I made everything new after PolarPattern001 -> new fillet (I want to cut with pocket) - > new sketch for pocket...
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I am not sure that I want to give it to public internet
another such a fuss. is your object "secret defense" :?:
how do you expect us to help you :?:
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

oooo...hush, hush top secret aye? :roll:

As @papyblaise notes, not a whole lot more we can do but guess.

In any case, I can see at least fillet before the pocket in the body. This is at least one place where the TNP will cause you issues.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are sketches and datum planes attached to generated geometry as well.

I would suggest a thorough read through here:

Advice for creating stable models
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."