[Feature Request] Independent views for each file

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1

Re: [Feature Request] Independent views for each file

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:17 am

dcapeletti wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:35 pm
And let the circles have the icons of the workbenches :)
:+1:
Kunda1 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 pm
1) if when you hovered over to the circle of your choice then it would disappear all the circles you didn't choose and the circle chosen now becomes the center hub. Around that circle would emerge all the circles that represent the commands of that specific workbench you chose.
I was looking at the Launcher addon code to see if I could understand how @triplus figured out how to recurse the different commands of the available workbenches in FC. This would be way to achieve the above feature

Edit: opened a ticket on the Launcher repo
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
TheMarkster

Postby TheMarkster » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:10 am

dcapeletti wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:57 pm
Hi, maybe it would be useful to switch workbenches with key combinations.
Is this currently possible?

Thanks
You could do this with macros.

Make a macro for the workbench you want to open. Put the macro in a custom toolbar with an accelerator key you want to use.

The code to open the workbench is very simple:

Code: Select all

Gui.activateWorkbench("WorkbenchName")
Where "WorkbenchName" is the name of the workbench. To see the names of the workbenches enter this in the python console:

Code: Select all

Gui.listWorkbenches()
Edit: Some code has been recently added to make adding macros to a global custom toolbar a little bit easier. It's kind of a step-by-step walkthrough, accessible via a Toolbar button in the macros dialog.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:19 am

I'm trying to figure out if we need to split this thread up in to 2 separate threads... ?

Edit: Opened https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=37961 for all discussions related to the @dcapeletti's macro
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
leoheck

Postby leoheck » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:37 am

Guys, a fast way to access workbenches is something that is really good. But I was not talking about it.

I am talking about something different.

Freecad usability can be really improved with this feature when each tab/file opened keeps the environment/workbench/interface independent for each file.
Pauvres_honteux

Postby Pauvres_honteux » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:45 am

@leoheck: I really second your proposal. The time spent switching workbenches would litterarely be zero.

In the unlikely event your proposal comes out being too "costly" developmentwise, perhaps a tiny bit slower (around one second) approach might be something to ponder about. It would consist of "just" loading the last used workbench for that particular tab/file when clicking the tab.
leoheck

Postby leoheck » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:17 pm

@Pauvres_honteux Sure, anything that can improve the default behavior when using multiples files would be really good.

The worst thing, in my opinion, is that I have to close the Sketch I am editing to be able to edit another Sketch on another file/fab.

Sometimes I want to measure some part dimension or adjust a part while editing another file and having to close the sketch while changing the context is a waste of time/effort/energy that the tool could handle by itself.
triplus

Postby triplus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:32 pm

As for pie menu i answered in a dedicated thread:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 45#p326445

@leoheck

I read your proposals and i am not sure what you are proposing. Yes, there are document tabs, a set of different workbenches containing different tools and some edit modes, like the Sketcher one.

What do you therefore find problematic and how could FreeCAD in your opinion improve?
leoheck

Postby leoheck » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:17 pm

Hi @triplus.

Let me try to explain it better.

Well, I believe that Freecad evolved from being able to edit a single file to something that is able to open multiples files in tabs.

However, FreeCad has these configurations called workbenches. They change the whole interface considering what the user is doing in a particular file. And I believe this is the issue.

For example:

Consider you are creating a file, then selects the Part Design Workbench, then add a new Body, then a new Sketch. Like I usually do. Now you are editing a Sketch, adding a circle, for example, but now you have to add a value to use as diameter constraint.

Then, you open a new file, with another part so you can remember the diameter from there. Then you double click the Sketch to see the value of this diameter constraint. What happens? Nothing, you can't Edit (or open) the Sketch because the Sketch is still open on the first tab/file.

You will have to close the previous Sketch Edition first. You can see the close button there, but It won't work since it belongs to another file. You will have to change the tab and then close the Sketch edition, then go back to the second file...

Well, this process is a way to long, and this is not what multiple files edition should be. The user should do whatever it needs on each tab/file. Also, each tab should remain in its current workbench.

For example, you are editing to fix/adjust a part with the Part Design, while in another tab you are adding multiples files together with the A2Plus plugin. Every time you change the tab, you will have to change the Workbench every time because Freecad UI is the same for all the opened files. This is a pain to work with.

Did you see my point? Do you have any idea on how to improve it?
I would be so glad to see these changes in the next release.
triplus

Postby triplus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:00 pm

I think i understand what you are proposing. That is changing the document tab should change the workbench too. Now while i was reading your explanation i was thinking you must be using and talking about assemblies and indeed you confirmed it with mentioning A2Plus. And i guess you are using expressions in such way:

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Express ... nt_linking

In this scenario indeed people usually still do need to do some workbench/document switching to create an assembly. Now entering Sketcher edit mode won't enable you to do anything else in other document tabs and in addition Sketcher workbench will get activated automatically when entering Sketcher edit mode. Once you are done with editing the sketch you will get returned to the previous workbench (Part Design). A2Plus ATM doesn't do any workbench switching but in the future likely the whole chain will be supported by A2Plus or successor or both. That is editing a part from assembly will likely switch to Part Design workbench automatically. Additions such as "in context" editing will likely help too.

Long story short assembly capabilities in FreeCAD just haven't evolved yet to providing such levels of comfort. But are good enough already for people being able to complete assembly related projects successfully.
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:33 pm

leoheck wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:17 pm
Did you see my point? Do you have any idea on how to improve it?
I would be so glad to see these changes in the next release.
Not really a direct answer to your request, but I often open two independent instances of FreeCAD in order to use one as a reference while working in the other one. For many purposes this works about the same as using multiple tabs in a single instance.

Gene