Coordinate System Askew

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
VanderBuggy

Coordinate System Askew

Post by VanderBuggy »

I've done this before and when it would happen I'd just delete the whole project and start again. This time I can't do that - since I've spent over 8 hours on this project. In the screen capture you see a white rectangle - this is a sketch in the XY plane. In the background you see some type of coordinate system that has somehow become misaligned with everything. The little white cube (upper right) seems to align with the skewed coordinate grid (instead of the Sketch). All sketches are aligned with each other - just seems like the background coordinate system is all wonky.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix? Does it matter if I export to STEP? And, what in the world am I doing to constantly cause this?

EDIT: while exploring the tree on the left I noticed that EVERY object has an "angular deflection" of 28.50 degrees. There must be 60 or so things in that tree - and I couldn't have possible changed everyone to exactly 28.50 degrees. So weird.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16117 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.2)
Hash: dbb4cc6415bac848a294f03b80f65e888d531742
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 6.00.54 PM copy.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 6.00.54 PM copy.png (640.69 KiB) Viewed 781 times
-vb
VanderBuggy

Re: Coordinate System Askew

Post by VanderBuggy »

Okay, I fixed it. From the Draft workbench I changed the working plane from Auto to XY and then back to Auto. See screen capture.

Angular Deflection seems unrelated to this issue.
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 6.35.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 6.35.55 PM.png (619.81 KiB) Viewed 773 times
-vb
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

From what I can see in your screenshots you are going to mix PartDesign and non PartDesign. Be careful with that. It is possible to build such models, but usually it is best to within PartDesign, except where you really need to change workbench. If you do so, e.g. if you want to use a Draft objetc in the body, then use a ShapeBinder.

AngularDeflection is a property controlling only the display rendering precision of objects. It doesn't change anything of the model itself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

VanderBuggy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:11 am In the background you see some type of coordinate system that has somehow become misaligned with everything. The little white cube (upper right) seems to align with the skewed coordinate grid (instead of the Sketch)
That "some type of coordinate system" you mention is the Draft WB > Grid and it is misaligned because you have set the Draft WB > Working Plane to Auto.

VanderBuggy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:11 am I've done this before and when it would happen I'd just delete the whole project and start again.
Don't delete the whole project because by doing that you're throwing away a lot of work that can probably be easily fixed. Instead you should ask for help here in the forum first.

VanderBuggy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:11 am Does it matter if I export to STEP?
No; the grid won't affect how your Export to .step.

VanderBuggy wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:42 am Okay, I fixed it. From the Draft workbench I changed the working plane from Auto to XY and then back to Auto.
My suggestion is that you leave it at X-Y and not Auto...
MobiusStrip

Post by MobiusStrip »

Just hit this myself. I imported SVG outlines, used Draft to convert them to sketches, and then padded. The result was displayed at some arbitrary angle from the grid, but I realized that the gizmos were properly aligned in regard to the shape.

The biggest problem with following the helpful instructions in this thread is that "working plane" does not come up in the Help box if you search for it, and the control in the toolbar is unlabeled. I wasted a decent amount of time looking for it.

For future reference, it's the far-left button in the Draft toolbar.