Cannot reference to expressions in external spreadsheet

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
schloeri

Cannot reference to expressions in external spreadsheet

Post by schloeri »

Good afternoon,

I have designed a body stored in a FreeCAD file. I also do have a different FreeCAD file (master.FCStd) in the same directory just containing a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet does hold all relevant distances. All cells carry an alias name.

Now, these aliases are not accessible from the body file. I do know how to address those expressions as I have already done that in the past (master#name_of_spreadsheet.expression).

Here comes the difference: The file with the body originally contained several bodies together with all their sketches and modeling tools. For reorganizing the project I put every body in its individual file by copying the multi part file and deleting all but one body in each file. At the same time I renamed all entries in the model tree to be "Sketch", "Pad", "Pocket" etc rather than "Sketch001", "Pad001", etc.
Now when I try to insert the external expression (no matter which from the spreadsheet) the formula editor says "Document object not found: Sketch002". There is no Sketch002 for the body, however, there was a Sketch002 in the multi body file.

Any idea of how to get rid of that for the files and if this should be considered a bug?

Best regards

Stefan
Attachments
failure_external-expression.png
failure_external-expression.png (28.27 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cannot reference to expressions in external spreadsheet

Post by chrisb »

Can you upload the files (Master plus one of the others? And note, that renaming is rather relabeling. You can never change the internal name, only the displayed label.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
schloeri

Post by schloeri »

Thanks for the feedback.

I realized the internal names in the status line when hovering over the items but even changing the labels back does not repair the file.

Attached two files
Attachments
seitenwand_lang.FCStd
(18.94 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
master.FCStd
(1.59 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The problem is the name of the spreadsheet. The dash is inside of an expression interpreted as a minus sign. Rename the spreadsheet e.g. to daten_wc_schrank and you can reference things such as master#daten_wc_schrank.hoehe_schrank in the file seitenwand_lang.FCStd.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
schloeri

Post by schloeri »

Hey chrisb,

thanks for looking into that. That did the trick.

Best regards
Arturok

Post by Arturok »

:o :) :) you are the masters, problem solved :) thanks
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

I will also add, that it does not work with capital letters in the filename.
Last edited by Aleks on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I recommend using links to make your documents easier to maintain. Here is an example of how that could look like:
M4x wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:54 pm
Here is my example (place files in the same folder). Spreadsheet in the top level assembly file drives components in a separate file.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 60#p540257