Interlocking modules (LCinterlocking) help wanted

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Tom1000

Interlocking modules (LCinterlocking) help wanted

Postby Tom1000 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:56 am

Hi,
I tried to use the Interlocking module and had, unfortunately, enourmous problems. It seems that parts created with PartDesign and not with the Interlocking module cause some troubles. I found, however, a work-around which works perfectly ;)
1. Select only the body to which other bodies shall be connected. This first body hence receives "holes" whereas the latter ones will receive the "noses"
2. Then click on "interlocking" button. The "Parts and Tabs" window opens and click on "Add same parts"
3. Return to the model and now (this is important!!) select the pad or pocket from to bodies to be added to the "Parts and Tabs" window
4. Return to the "Parts and Tabs window" and click "Add parts". Repeat until complete.
5. Then render the body selected in item 1) above invisible
6. Select the surfact to receive the "noses" and click "Add faces". Continue this step until complete. Each time you should see a little triangle on the left side appearing.
7. Click on said little triangle and edit the number of "noses" needed.
8. Once finished, hit okay.
Calculation may take a second or two, depending on the complexitiy.
In this way, the module worked fine for me. I hope this is of help to you
Cheers. :)
Kunda1

Re: Interlocking modules (LCinterlocking) help wanted

Postby Kunda1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:09 pm

Split thread due to guidelines of not asking for help in the User Showcase gallery.
execuc wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:15 pm
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:09 pm

Tom1000 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:56 am
3. Return to the model and now (this is important!!) select the pad or pocket from to bodies to be added to the "Parts and Tabs" window
This begs for "Link goes out of allowed scope". Can you verify if the Dependency graph contains red arrows?
Tom1000

Postby Tom1000 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:20 am

Yes, the dependency graph contains red arrows.

Perhaps another bit of interesting information. When drafting the different bodies, I had used at one point the "Manipulator" work bench to move bodies around. When using the "LCInterlocking" work bench on these bodies, then the bodies shifted in space during the addition of the "holes" and "noses". So, in the end, the final result was useless. I then had to draw all bodies again. What I did was I drew a first sketch, added a pad, made a new drawing and pad on one of the surfaces of the first pad. Then I copied the first body, renamed it and deleted the first sketch and pad and also deleted all external references of the second sketch (in the sketcher workbench) to have properly positioned second and independent body. I am quite certain that this is not the way to create independent bodies "touching" each other and suitable for the "LCInterlocking" work bench, but it worked in the end :)
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:23 am

If you want a completely independent copy, use Part->CreateSimpleCopy.