How can I apply the tutorial?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Hymer

How can I apply the tutorial?

Post by Hymer »

I try to continue with the tutorial on http://cadcamlessons.com/freecad-tutorial-quick-start/.
But I have problem already with the 3:d illustraton. I get no the possibility to select feature on the Combo view panel. I get no the three rows.
It is not possible to push the Create rectangle in sketch button in Scetcher module.
Freecad-tutorial.jpg
Freecad-tutorial.jpg (247.45 KiB) Viewed 2152 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How can I apply the tutorial?

Post by chrisb »

I would recommend to start with the PartDesign Tutorials from the wiki to understand the very basics of PartDesign workbench. For questions concerning the linked tutorial you may contact the author.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Hymer

Post by Hymer »

OK, you are right.
There are plenty of tutorials there. :shock: Would you recommend a basic first step learning? I don't like video tutorials, It is easier to follow the written.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

To learn PartDesign I would recommend to start with "Creating a simple part with PartDesign (v0.17)" followed by "Basic Part Design Tutorial (v0.17)".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Did you "Select the XY plane and click OK." as instructed in the tutorial? This should put you in "Sketch editing" mode where those buttons are active. This is not the case in you second screenshot (Step 2).
When creating the sketch without existing body a new body is created and you are presented with the dialog to attach the sketch to bodies base planes. When you select a plane and confirm with Ok sketch is mapped to that plane and opened for editing. Workbench is automatically switched from Part design to Sketcher and you can continue with editing the sketch. When you are done and Close the sketch you are automatically returned to Part Design workbench. In your screenshot you are out of sketch editing mode and have manually switched to Sketcher workbench.
Switch to PartDesign workbench. Select the sketch frm the TreeView and double click it to open it for editing.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you edit an existing sketch it doesn't matter which workbench you currently are in: on doubleclick you open the sketch in sketcher.
When creating a new sketch it is important that you are in PartDesign workbench.
Hymer

Post by Hymer »

I click on Sketch editing or Shift E, but nothing changes. I don't know either after several clickings if I am in editing mode or not :? . No difference.
Excuse me, I did not give you information abot my system:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Hungarian/Hungary (hu_HU)
sketchediting.png
sketchediting.png (178.13 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Something is perhaps out of sync with your config. You can try to reset the configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them.

Then do the following
- start FreeCAD
- create new document
- switch to PartDesign
- click the NewSketch icon
- you should see on the left (docked!) the list from Step1 in your first post
- click on XY plane
- click Ok

now you are in Sketcher and can start drawing a sketch.
Hymer

Post by Hymer »

"- start FreeCAD
- create new document
- switch to PartDesign
- click the NewSketch icon
- you should see on the left (docked!) the list from Step1 in your first post"
No, sorry. I see this:
how-to-start.png
how-to-start.png (178.45 KiB) Viewed 1924 times
- click on XY plane
- click Ok"
There is not any OK to click.
If I follow the tutorial. https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Basic_P ... n_Tutorial I cannot click the poliline tool, however I didn't missed any other step.
(I reseted the configuration with the button in the preferences, as you told me, however that was not anything to reset, I never used the Freecad before.)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can try to reset the configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them.