Could not save work, files lost

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MarkkuTM

Re: Could not save work, files lost

Post by MarkkuTM »

Here is my file, as requested by THeMarkster
abxz.FCStd
(30.31 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

JFYI, this doesn't speak to your problem per se but there is an on hold PR named [For v0.19]Backup files policy. Maybe this feature of opting in for backups to persist after shutdown could be added to ti ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I don't see anything wrong with the model or with the file you uploaded.
MarkkuTM

Post by MarkkuTM »

I did the chkdsk c: /f, nothing amiss.

I also used the built-in Win 10 utility Windows Memory Diagnostic, no issues.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

I got this same warning several times today. This is the first time I ever got the warning.

Code: Select all

Cannot rename project file to backup file
Cannot rename file from 'C:/Users/mwganson/Downloads/GoProMount.FCStd.9d949048-8959-4fc6-9f0b-e63bdb8ad0d7' to 'C:/Users/mwganson/Downloads/GoProMount.FCStd'
My workaround was to delete the current file (while it's still open in FreeCAD), then save it as normal. This works fine. It's not as risky as it seems because deleting via the File Explorer puts it in the recycle bin.

There are a number of files with that filename + the string hex characters, globally unique identifiers. It could be you have your file saved in that same form. I think all you need to do is rename them, removing the guid from the end.

The one thing we both have in common is we both opened that file, but I don't see how that should matter. Just to be on the safe side I'm running a complete virus scan.

Renaming config files didn't change anything.
LordeCrimson

Post by LordeCrimson »

Allow the app / program through Windows Defender Ransomware protection settings.

After 1.5 hours of hacking windows, doing stack traces, following multi-threading for this FreeCAD save function, with ollydbg, I discovered the Ransomware protection feature ( which is set up by the admin ) to be revoking disk writes from FreeCAD. So, either shut off ransomware protection, or open its settings, you will see "freeCAD" listed as a recently blocked app. Just click ALLOW. All is well. ( I do use the "My Documents" folder for work files, nothing unique).