Problem revolving a sketch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
luggw1

Problem revolving a sketch

Post by luggw1 »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.3.
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I'm working on a model of a recessed panel mount for a miniature toggle switch. I've modelled what I believe I want the panel mount to look like and I'm working on a mock-up of the end of the switch to make sure it's going to fit and provide enough room for a finger and for mounting hardware.

I'm attempting to revolve the sketch SwitchHandleSketch in the attached file about the longer construction line running most of the length of the profile of the switch handle. When I attempt to perform the revolution, selecting Construction Line 2 (which I believe this one is) I get nothing. When I cancel the operation, FreeCAD marks the body object with a Error marker that goes away if I select Edit->Refresh. So, my question is what am I doing wrong and is there another underlying problem with my model that is interfering with the revolution?

Thanks for the help.
Bill Lugg
Attachments
PanelMount.FCStd
(53.48 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Problem revolving a sketch

Post by kisolre »

The profile to be revolved must be a closed contour of real geometry (not a construction ones). And the resulting shape must be a single solid. Single point of contact does not give that.
Here I repeated the center line as normal geometru an increased that dimension to give more contact:
RevolutionRepair.JPG
RevolutionRepair.JPG (100.85 KiB) Viewed 285 times
But those should have been different bodies inside a Part container.
luggw1

Re: Problem revolving a sketch

Post by luggw1 »

Thanks for the help. That certainly corrected the problem. I also moved it to a separate body. I'm still getting used to the idea of everything existing as its own body in V0.18, but I can see the wisdom of the approach.

Thanks again for the help.
Bill Lugg