How to join pipes

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SvenGoord

How to join pipes

Post by SvenGoord »

I have spend many hours and can not make join. Is video or tutorial any where?
join.jpg
join.jpg (15.36 KiB) Viewed 561 times
0831b.FCStd
(174.21 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Thank you

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17499 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6b1be38f35686faf21e1015bf562520929890870
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.9.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
I am taking EASL at night to make my English better. I use VPN for USA better searching
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to join pipes

Post by chrisb »

If it's to be a single solid, then you should model it in one body. There are different possibilities:
- two additive sweeps for the outer part and afterwards two subtractive sweeps to make it hollow.
- two additive sweeps and a thickness operation (wathcout, thickness tends to fail).
- one additive sweep and a mirror followed by a subtractive sweep and a mirror.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

SvenGoord wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:01 pm I have spend many hours and can not make join. Is video or tutorial any where?
Where did you find this image or tutorial? The Arch PipeConnector is a simple command to join two Arch Pipes.

For more advance piping you should use something like the Dodo Workbench, which is the successor to the Flamingo Workbench, one of many external workbenches that are installable through the Addon Manager.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I upload here the mirror/thickness version. I was myself rather surprised that thickness worked so well :) .
Note, that it did not work with the original version of spline-left-outer. After having it fully constrained it worked.
Attachments
0831bthick.FCStd
(158.92 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
SvenGoord

Post by SvenGoord »

chrisb wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:25 pm I upload here the mirror/thickness version. I was myself rather surprised that thickness worked so well :) .
Note, that it did not work with the original version of spline-left-outer. After having it fully constrained it worked.
Thanks you chrisb I did not find how to restrain spline and hope it was OK and left it. I now see what you do and will remember.

Mirror and thickness work very good, I make a mistake by two pipes hollow before join.

I did not try thickness as last time on different part it made very thin places some time. It works OK here now thank you I should have tried.
I am taking EASL at night to make my English better. I use VPN for USA better searching
SvenGoord

Post by SvenGoord »

vocx wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:14 pm Where did you find this image or tutorial? The Arch PipeConnector is a simple command to join two Arch Pipes.
It is not a image or tutorial, I create it but could not join to make water hollow for both sides.

Thank you, chrisb shows how to do it using no special things. I like to keep Freecad as like download so do not add more things.