How to simulate human vision ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: How to simulate human vision ?

Post by DeepSOIC »

openBrain wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:53 pm The simplest (but maybe not optimal) method is probably to directly tamper then restore the global FC parameter with something like

Code: Select all

FreeCAD.ParamGet("User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/View").SetBool("_PARAM_",_VALUE_)
Yes, but it's only a part of the problem. Navigation style may need to be reapplied to fetch the parameter, otherwise it may not be detected. I'll experiment with it later.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

openBrain wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:44 pm Wouldn't that be good to automate the display parameter change? ;)
Done! Turns out, there is no need to reinstantiate navigation style, it does react immediately.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

DeepSOIC wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:29 pm Done! Turns out, there is no need to reinstantiate navigation style, it does react immediately.
:+1:
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

My real model is an assembly. The image below is just a drastically simplified illustration of a flat dashboard and a steering wheel.

Boolean operations can't resolve the problem, what is required is clearly a projection mechanism. I know almost nothing about rendering technique and never used such a tool (I'm more into pure engineering). Does a rendering tool can fully compute projected shadows and is it possible to disable the diffusion mechanism into a scene, thus having a neat difference between illuminated areas and shadows ?
Capture d’écran de 2019-09-20 19-20-43.png
Capture d’écran de 2019-09-20 19-20-43.png (38 KiB) Viewed 318 times
fcaduser

Post by fcaduser »

As I said I'm a total newcomer to this field, but it seems ray-tracing can do the job. I suspect our binocular vision brings some subtle differences but this is probably a very similar problem, and RT can yield an accurate approximation. Concerning the RT workbench, it would be convenient to set the light source(s) directly into the scene (using a point and a vector) with an interactive tool (something like the tool for moving a part.) And also directly edit the parameters using a panel.
test.png
test.png (31.59 KiB) Viewed 293 times