Draft scaling

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lkadud

Draft scaling

Post by lkadud »

I am trying to scale a simple draft by using the Draft-Scale function. However, if I try to "modify the original", it scales it up until the next recompute, which scales it down again.
Am I missing something?

Commands from console:
>>> Draft.scale([FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.Circle],delta=FreeCAD.Vector(3.0,3.0,3.0),center=FreeCAD.Vector(0.0,0.0,0.0),copy=False,legacy=True)
>>> FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.recompute()

My setup:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16117 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: dbb4cc6415bac848a294f03b80f65e888d531742
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Draft scaling

Post by openBrain »

Hi. Could you try with the current 0.19 development version ? There have been issues with Draft/Scale that have been fixed. ;)
Alternatively you can use the Draft/Clone function that has a scaling ability and would work fine in your version.
lkadud

Post by lkadud »

Thanks for the quick reply!
I tried the 0.19 version, but this still does not seem to do, what I want.
Basically I just want to have the original object scaled up by a specific factor and not a second element, which represents the scaled up version.
The clone object seems to provide an object with the option to be scaled up, why isn't this the case for the original object?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Could you please post the information of the 0.19 version you used?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

If you try to scale a circle you get this error in the Report view:
Unable to scale object: Circle - This object type cannot be scaled directly. Please use the clone method.
So @openBrain is on the right track.

Maybe the potential unequal scaling is the reason for this? Although if you compare the behavior when stretching a single corner of a rectangle (original rectangle is made invisible and a replacement wire is created, note: position of wire is incorrect) then what happens here is perhaps inconsistent?

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18234 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3af5d97e9b2a60823815f662aba25422c4bc45bb
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

lkadud wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:06 pm Basically I just want to have the original object scaled up by a specific factor and not a second element, which represents the scaled up version.
The clone object seems to provide an object with the option to be scaled up, why isn't this the case for the original object?
That's how parametric modeling works in FreeCAD. A different approach would be to use Sketches with constraints and appropriate dimensions, and use these in Part or PartDesign workbench. If an object is well designed you need only to change a few dimensions to scale your object.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

I don't think this: Draft circle can't be Draft scaled, is a parametric modeling issue.
degarb

Post by degarb »

So, the clone idea is out because you can't delete the original.

You can't scale up arcs and circles and lines in draft mode?

And if you go to another workbench you destroy the draft mode progress of many days worth of work and cannot continue to add lines and arcs?

So, basically, you are saying scale up in draft mode is broken?

I am trying to scale up 79 objects I drew in draft workbench, which mysteriously got shrunk--probably newbie error.

The only way I can see doing it is to continue working on it in draft mode as a micro drawing. Then clone and scale up. At that point I will not be able to delete the original. Thus, I will need to export the clone to dxf, then import it into a new document. The problem with the new document is that I will no longer have anything but dead shapes, not editable arcs and circles that be text altered. If I want to change anything, I will need to go back to earlier versions, and go through the whole rigor again. I bet that switching to drawing will convert all my beautifully tweakable arcs to shapes, which I do not want, since I am trying to create a functioning part, whose arcs, lines and circles parameters may need to be tweaked once in the field and I learn more. I am getting the feeling that people are just jumping into 3d, before 2d is mastered, which seems weird to me. Libre sux, nothing works. Plus, I will want to eventually turn my 2d into 3d, but not until the 2d alignment is perfected and tested.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

degarb wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:53 pm So, the clone idea is out because you can't delete the original.
Sure you can, see my other post to you.
You can't scale up arcs and circles and lines in draft mode?
Hmm...works here.
And if you go to another workbench you destroy the draft mode progress of many days worth of work and cannot continue to add lines and arcs?
Not here...
So, basically, you are saying scale up in draft mode is broken?
See above...
I am trying to scale up 79 objects I drew in draft workbench, which mysteriously got shrunk--probably newbie error.

The only way I can see doing it is to continue working on it in draft mode as a micro drawing. Then clone and scale up. At that point I will not be able to delete the original. Thus, I will need to export the clone to dxf, then import it into a new document. The problem with the new document is that I will no longer have anything but dead shapes, not editable arcs and circles that be text altered. If I want to change anything, I will need to go back to earlier versions, and go through the whole rigor again. I bet that switching to drawing will convert all my beautifully tweakable arcs to shapes, which I do not want, since I am trying to create a functioning part, whose arcs, lines and circles parameters may need to be tweaked once in the field and I learn more. I am getting the feeling that people are just jumping into 3d, before 2d is mastered, which seems weird to me. Libre sux, nothing works. Plus, I will want to eventually turn my 2d into 3d, but not until the 2d alignment is perfected and tested.
People have attempted to explain, that if done the ways they've explained you result in a parametric model, that allows things like you describe. And being parametric, you beautifully tweakable arcs are trivial.

Unfortunately, you have to master both pretty much together. And you are creating your frustration by attempting workflow of your imagined way of doing things as opposed to listening to seasoned users who are trying to help.
Last edited by drmacro on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

when sharing screenshots/pictures (in the posts) as well as files it is easier to get the "right" help.
a picture (and file) says more than a thousand words, so to say.