Ticket #5990 - Sometimes face / sketch exports to flattened svg or dxf incorrectly

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bug_reporter_00342

Ticket #5990 - Sometimes face / sketch exports to flattened svg or dxf incorrectly

Post by bug_reporter_00342 »

This forum post is associated with the following Bug Tracker ticket:
issue #4133

Description:
I've been seeing this bug very occasionally I believe since 0.16, seemingly at random. Trying to export a particular sketch as a flattened svg or dxf truly flattens the constituent paths such that they lie on top of each other when they should not. It may be that the paths are being projected along the wrong (90deg) axis to produce the exported vector image.
Trying to export a clone or facebinder of the relevant sketch then exporting produces the same results.

Steps To Reproduce:
Open this FCStd file
cant_export_Sketch002.FCStd
(39.58 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
, try to export Sketch002 as Flattened SVG or DXF. View exported file in Inkscape or similar, visually compare to original sketch.
For reference, Sketch001 exports fine. Rotating the body of Sketch002 by 90deg to lie parallel to the plane of Sketch001 does not solve the issue.
I have tried in 0.17, 0.18, and 0.19 Daily with the same results.

Workaround:
Pad the sketch, export the pad as a STEP file, open the STEP file in a new FreeCAD document, recreate the original sketch by tracing out the face using external geometry, then export the new sketch as SVG or DXF.
This workaround does not support sketches that cannot currently be padded, such as those which would produce multiple solids.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Mon May 16, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added GH ticket number to thread title
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4133 - Sometimes face / sketch exports to flattened svg or dxf incorrectly

Post by Roy_043 »

I don't think the bug is random. If you change (fix?) the alignment of Sketch002 itself (instead of that of its solid) the sketch will export correctly as a 2D DXF.
Map Mode: Deactivated
Angle: 0

Same issue discussed here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=33708
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Ticket #4133 - Sometimes face / sketch exports to flattened svg or dxf incorrectly

Post by Kunda1 »

Migrated to GH issue #5990
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs